|Chapter 16 ~ Trap|

The words they spoke to me still echoed in my head long after everyone left. I was back in my own room, seated in front of the great window that overlooked the cavern. A golden glow radiated from the outside of the crystal barrier that enclosed me from the dark cavern.

It scared me. The fact that I couldn't see anything except the darkness. Black like that of a void, only showing me the unknown and undiscovered, providing shelter to all the creatures that were waiting to pounce just when I stopped paying enough attention.

I shook my head to clear the sombre thoughts from my mind and stood up. I had a job to finish tonight - or today. It was difficult to tell the difference underground. I was confident that nothing was going to come in my way, even were it my own thoughts.

It was easier to sneak out of the golden triangle than I expected. Most Aliums were already asleep at the time I began my journey back to the cavern wall and only a few were out on patrol, usually more inside the building than the outside. I did not wonder too much about why, but was only thankful that it greatly aided me in my escape. The secret tunnel helped to cover some ground and I was once again grateful to Christa. After stalking past guards, using the pillars and beautiful fish tank as coverage, I eventually reached the silver metal gate that led to the outside.

I paused on the bronze floor. The golden bridges were quiet, nothing unusual about them except the alien glow of the main structure that blinded my eyes. The unusual silence that filled the gaping darkness ahead of me made nervousness cloud my chest. I scanned the bridges for any signs of activity. I knew I had to keep control of my anxious thoughts regarding heights the very moment I began my journey across the bridge.

I bit my lip. If I had an opening, I had to take it. There was no time for fear this time.

The last words Jacob spoke to me suddenly entered my mind as I inspected the overpasses - the bronze built a lot higher than the other bridges that were right in front of me. 

"Always take the bridge closer to the ceiling of the cavern, not many patrol parties go there since it's too high up, but be careful. They may not always be so... stable."

I groaned in frustration. I understood what he meant, but I loathed the idea of being anything near something that could make me fall to my death. I breathed in deeply, clearing my mind and stepped out from behind my hiding place. I saw no one on the bridge and it made me slightly relieved, almost happy enough that I could forget about the very deep black nothingness that loomed beneath me. I sprinted across the bridge as quietly as I could, my eyes fixated on something that didn't remind me what I was busy doing. 

The overpasses in the underground city were built like roads, passing over each other in a complicated maze of bronze. The bridges were built in order to reach the triangular structure from every angle, no matter the height nor angle. From a distance it looked like a web of architectural yarn, built with much detail and effort.

When I reached the end of the bridge, I could feel my heart rate slowing and not rocketing like that of a rabbit's anymore. I kept myself hidden, progressing across the ridge of the rocky walls at an irritatingly slow pace. I couldn't stuff up when I was this far already.

After an eternity of hiding and ducking behind rock, I recognized Gandila's hideout the both of us had discovered a few days ago. It was really the perfect spot for a creature the size of Gandila to stay hidden. The small cave was built into the side of the cavern's wall, closed off from both sides by great boulders. She would never be spotted without the knowledge that she was actually there. Well not by humans anyway.

For once, I was very obliged to the darkness of the cavern that hid everything from the Aliums' sight. I however quickly changed my opinion when my leg scraped against a sharp rock that protruded from the side of the wall. My eyes - slowly adjusting to the dim light - appraised my leg for the amount of damage. I cursed softly as I saw red liquid trickling down my calve. The wound was irritatingly deep, but thankfully not fatal. I ignored the slight pounding that rocketed through my calve and climbed the little hill that led to the cave with teeth clenched.