Chapter 21: No More Holding Back.

~Timeskip to the Next Day~

The demon king and his queen continued to lay in bed. Diana has already woken up ten minutes ago but wanted to cuddle with him. It wasn't very often he actually slept with her. He always laid with her when she fell asleep, of course, but he never actually slept himself. So she just laid there with him and...watched.

Diana just watched her husband sleep. She couldn't understand why he never slept. Sure, he would have nightmares sometimes, but he always looked at peace. His body wasn't tense, nor was his mind stressed. He was...at peace.

Though, Diana knew she had to wake him up eventually. Her husband's mind and emotions were very fragile and even the tiniest thing could set him off. However, the kingdom still needed a leader, and it was obvious he was in no condition to do that. So, she very reluctantly shook his shoulder. He awoke with a startle at first but she quickly calmed him down by putting a hand on his chest.

Diana: Calm down, love. It's alright, we just slept.

Josh: Okay...

Diana moved her hand up to his cheek and kissed him. This made them both smile, though she could tell his was almost forced.

Diana: I have to go to the throne room and start listening to requests from our citizens.

Josh suddenly grabbed her wrists and pulled her closer before wrapping her into a tight hug. It was filled with desperation and she knew it, but she also knew she couldn't give him all her attention when the kingdom needed her as well. It broke her heart, but she had to say no.

Diana: Love, I can't stay with you right now.

Josh: Please...

Diana: I can't, love. I have to take care of the kingdom while you're like this.

Josh: Like what? I'm perfectly fit to lead an army! I can help you if you stay with me, please!

Diana: Josh...

The queen slowly pulled from the hug and cupped his cheeks. She then stared deeply into his broken, desperate eyes.

Diana: Don't lie, love. It doesn't suit you like it does for humans. You always tell the truth and that's why the people believe you. You are fragile right now. Let ME be the one that protects YOU this time, okay?

After a minute of silence, Josh closed his eyes before holding her hands.

Josh: Okay...I trust you, my queen.

Diana: Thank you, love.

She gave him a light but passionate kiss before slowly getting out of bed. Diana began putting on her outfit for the day while Josh just laid in bed and stared at the ceiling. Not a thought occupied his mind. That was until Diana has finishing getting dressed and touched the door handle to leave, he quickly sat up in bed and gave her a desperate look.

Josh: Y-You'll be b-back...r-right?

Diana made a light smile before walking toward him and giving him another kiss. This time of reassurance.

Diana: I'll be back, I promise.

The king scoffed at this rather loudly, which almost hurt Diana's feelings.

Diana: What's wrong, love?

It felt like several minutes before he responded. Once he did, it hurt her heart.

Josh: Promises are only words. They're meant to be broken like everything else.

Diana: That's not true, love.