Chapter 5

Emily

When I wake up the next morning, I check my phone and see Ethan, my brother has called me 3 times already. He didn't leave any voicemails, so I hurry and call him back before Cora wakes up.

"Hey sis, I've been calling you. I have really good news." I breathe a sigh of relief, the last thing I needed was for my brother to be in trouble right now.

"Morning, Cora hasn't woken up yet, so I figured I'd get the scoop now. What's going on?" I put him on speaker as I pull on clothes and start on my makeup.

"I proposed to Julie and she said yes! We are getting married!" I can hear the smile in his voice as I put on mascara.

"Congrats Ethan! I'm so happy for you. I love Julie, you couldn't have chosen a better woman to spend the rest of your life with." It's the truth too. Julie is perfect for him, she keeps him grounded and is completely go with the flow. I was just waiting for him to ask her.

"Thanks lil sis. I'm so glad she said yes. I mean I thought she would, but I was really nervous. I also meant to ask about Braxton." His tone changed from elated to big protective brother and uncle.

"I'm sure mom told you. I ran into him, the next day we met up and I told him about Cora. He was shocked, but took it surprisingly well and then he officially met her last night." I'm only leaving out the part where he basically said he had been thinking about me for 4 years.

I mean doesn't he see that he has to think about Cora now. She would be much happier with two parents that are friendly than with two parents who hate each other because the relationship wouldn't go well.

He doesn't understand what it has been like being a single mother for 3 years, I have to put Cora over everything and I haven't once regretted anything about that. My little girl is the center of my world, just as she should be. If Braxton wants to be in her life, he's going to have to learn to prioritize her.

"If he ever gives you any trouble. I'm one phone call away. You know that. I have to protect you and my little princess, she's never had a dad and hell if he can show up now and play the role of "daddy'." I can tell he has been thinking about Braxton.

"I know. But he's really trying, dinner went really well and he even took the blame for not being here." I was shocked last night when he told Cora it was his fault, but I was also grateful. She has never asked about her dad, but I was worried that she would blame me for not having one.

"Okay. I want to meet him. I gotta vet this guy." I roll my eyes and start my coffee machine.

"Yeah yeah yeah, whatever. Don't scare him off. She deserves to know her father. Speaking of, I need to go get Cora ready. I'm really happy for you and Julie! Love you, Ethan." I walk towards Cora's bedroom, when I get there she is still peacefully sleeping. She has this little piece of hair on her forehead and every time she breathes it moves then settles again.

"Bye Emily. Love you! Tell Cora I said hi." I hang up on him and walk to her princess bed. It's really just a white bed frame with a circular piece that drapes cloth down around her head.

When we bought it she said she felt like a princess in a tower and I couldn't resist her little face.

"Wake up Cora. We gotta get ready." I pull her hair back and stroke her forehead as she wakes from her precious slumber.

"I just got off the phone with Uncle Ethan, he said hi. Guess what?" She gives me a groggy smile when I mention her uncle.

"What mommy?" Her voice is light and full of sleep. Every time I look at her, I feel this swell of pride. I made this little girl, I have cared for her everyday since she was born. I have kissed boo booboos to make them better and read books at bedtime. I hope Braxton gets to experience this, but I also have to protect my girl.

"Uncle Ethan is getting married to Julie! She's gonna be your aunt and I think you might get to be the flower girl!" That causes her gorgeous face to light up with joy.

"Yay!" There is nothing better than seeing your child happy. The excitement radiates off her and I give her a big smile right back.

"Ready to get up?"

"Yes mommy, wove you." We are still working on the word love, but those little words fill my heart.