• chapter two •

The next morning, she met Prince Mayur. He had shoulder length black hair, a really weird smile and an even worse personality.

Madhuri winced upon seeing him.

She wasn't one who would judge people on their looks, but this man radiated a strange feeling. Nevertheless, she had to talk to him. That was the only way she'd be able to find some sort of reason to reject him.

She was clad in a deep blue and green lehenga, of some sort, and her mother insisted on having her long hair tied up in a braid. She wore bangles on her arms which accentuated the color on her lehenga. Silver jhumkas hung on her ears, as she straightened her dupatta with a sigh.

Madhuri walked towards Prince Mayur and flashed a polite smile at him, which he then reciprocated with a slight smirk.

"You look very beautiful," he remarked, before she could even greet him.

Madhuri nodded. "Thank you. And, good morning," she mumbled, trying her best to remember everything her mother had told her to do: greet the prince, maintain a straight posture, don't make rude expressions...

Mayur pressed his lips together.

She glanced at him very briefly, then looked at her hands. "So..." she began. "What do you think of girls? And...females, in general?" She asked him.

He looked a little thrown off, as if he was expecting some other question. "I...as in?"

"As in, how do you view women in our society? What do you think needs to be changed about them?" She explained.

"Oh, well..." he started, as he pondered over her question. "Uh, women are very good at cooking some delicious dishes."

Madhuri tried her best to not let the disgust on her face visible. Of course, women cook well. "And..?"

"They...they create our future generations, you know?"

"And?"

He remained silent, as if he could not think of any other reasons.

Madhuri sighed, then looked at him with her doe-like eyes. "Do you want to ask me anything?"

"Uhm, you never told me if I looked good or not...?"

She immediately shifted her gaze to the random objects in the room: a cushion, a chaise, some books, a teacup. "Oh." she deadpanned, then began to move away from him. "I think we are done talking..."

He gulped then nodded. "Y-yeah..."

Her eyes looked at him one more time, then she walked out of the room and went to her mother. "Not him, ma, definitely not him."

🥀

"Prince Amarrr!" Liya cooed, as she flung her arms around him.

Amar shifted nervously as he quickly glanced at the girl hugging him. "H-hello, Princess Liya..." he muttered.

"How long has it been since we saw each other?" She asked, as she finally pulled away. "It seems like it's been forever!"

"We met around two weeks ago..."

Liya rolled her eyes and shrugged, as if she created a new equation: forever=two weeks. "That doesn't matter," she said, waving her hand dismissively.

She then edged towards him. "Our parents want us to marry each other..." she whispered.

Amar internally cringed. "Uh, I don't think it's want,"  he corrected.