• chapter four •

"Like I was saying, a marriage doesn't help a woman," Madhuri continued. "Half the time, we don't get to choose a groom that we like. For men, if they reject a woman it's fine. Other kingdoms will vie for him. But a woman?" Madhuri shook her head. "They don't get a choice. Maybe they can reject some men, but they will be forced to marry someone or the other."

Amar nodded, as if he understood what she was saying. But in reality, he was struggling to comprehend her words.

"If your husband dies? You shave off your hair, and are shunned away from the eyes of this society. Going to any festival will be a sin," she said. "What do women get? If you are born into royalty, you are somewhat lucky. But what about other women? Those who are poor? They are either ill-treated at their homes, only looked upon as good cooks and baby-making machines."

Amar took a deep breath. "I would never treat a woman like that."

Madhuri looked at him, as surprise flashed in her eyes. "What?"

"I never liked how this world treats them," he said. "Women are capable of so much. Not saying that their jobs as mothers aren't much, but they shouldn't be credited for only that, and cooking."

She tried to stifle a smile. Amar was different from any man she had seen. He respected women.

"I had a friend," Amar said. "When I was fifteen or so. She was extremely good at sword-fighting but..." he shook his head. "The men would never accept her, they wouldn't even acknowledge her talent."

Madhuri felt warm, and fuzzy all of a sudden. It was a weird feeling.

When Amar met her dark brown eyes, she gave him a nod of appreciation. That nod was what he yearned to see from his father, all his life he wanted to see that.

A compliment, you're doing good, Amar. A smile that said I'm proud of you.

But he never got that. Amar had forced himself to at least pretend as if he had some interest in the silly politics his father and his friends talked about. He did that for his father's sake. For one look of recognition.

And here Madhuri was, giving him that recognition.

"Princess Madhuri, Prince Amar," a maid said, bowing before them. "It's time for the engagement."

The smile from Madhuri's face vanished. She gave the maid a stoic nod and got down from the jhula, her bangles clashing against each other as she looked at him.

"Come on," she softly said, as he got down too.

Amar walked behind Madhuri, and they entered a big room which had tall pillars that were painted in a deep blue color. Chaises were placed everywhere, for the royal families to sit on. Maids stood nearby, in case the royalty needed anything. Sculptures surrounded the room. They were of saints, gods and goddesses.

He recognised one. It was Lord Krishna, playing the flute, with Lady Radha resting her head on his shoulder.

Amar leaned towards Madhuri. "Your parents worship Radha-Krishna?"

"They don't," she replied. "But I do." She looked at him, a sweet smile on her face. "There's something that's so magical about them."

Amar nodded. Then he turned his attention to the people in the room. "Is this the royal darbar?" He asked, slightly confused as there was no throne to be seen.

Madhuri shook her head. "This is...where we meet people. The engagement will happen here, I guess," she answered him.

Queen Sakshi then turned, and walked towards them. "Madhuri, come here," she said.

The Princess walked over and her mother made her sit down on a chaise. Then, Amar's mother made him do the same.

Amar quickly glanced at Madhuri, who was at an arm's length away from him. Two maids walked up to them, both holding a tray that had a gold ring, both encrusted with diamonds, on them.

His mother patted his shoulder, indicating that he should take the ring on his side.

Amar picked up the ring, as Madhuri held out her hand. He slid the ring down her dainty ring finger, as he looked at her eyes, which did not turn away from her lehenga. She then looked up at the maid and at him, took the other ring, and slipped it down his finger, just like he had.

She refused to meet his eyes, looking at everyone and everything but him. Amar on the other hand, couldn't take his eyes off her.

Why doesn't she want this marriage? He thought. The fact about women not getting anything because of weddings can't be the only reason she doesn't want this. Something else is there...

"This is great, this is great!" Queen Sakshi exclaimed, looking quite happy. "We've got a new alliance now!"

Madhuri's father gave a stiff nod.

His mother then gave a warm smile. "Soon, the marriage will happen," she said. "But before that, me and Sakshi have decided that you two will spend a good six months or so, getting to know each other."

"Besides, the royal astrologer has said that the good time for this marriage is nowhere near now," Queen Sakshi added. If she was worried about that, she maintained a good job of hiding it.

Amar met Madhuri's eyes, and she looked as if she was relieved about the delay of their marriage. For some reason, he felt a little hurt about that but he ignored it.

Then came their lunch, which Queen Sakshi insisted they have. The mothers were laughing and talking with each other, the fathers were telling each other about what all was happening in their respective kingdoms.

Amar was placed beside Madhuri, who sat quietly, fiddling with her bangles. As the maids served the food, he turned his attention to her.

"Hey," he muttered, softly. "Are you okay?"

"Hmm?" Her eyes met his briefly, before she looked back at her bangles. Her hand pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear as she said, "I'm fine."

He knew she was not fine. Something was bothering her, and he wanted her to confide in him. If she wasn't comfortable with that, then he at least wanted her to know that she could tell him anything.

"Don't think of me as your soon to be husband," he suggested. "Think of me as a friend. Someone who'll always listen to you."

Madhuri glanced at him, and it seemed as if she was surprised by what he had said. "It's fine, Prince Amar, it's nothing. Really."

"That's fine. You can tell me when you are okay with it," he said, politely. Then he softly mumbled, "Amar."

"What?"

"Don't call me Prince Amar," he explained. "Amar's just fine too."

Madhuri smiled--this time it was an actual, genuine smile. "Then you can call me Madhuri, Amar," she said.

The smile that appeared on his face upon her words mirrored hers. He turned his attention back to the food before him, but he couldn't wipe that smile off his face.

Amar wasn't sure of what would happen in their future, but he knew one thing with confidence.

That this was the start of a beautiful friendship.

🥀

Hello theree! 

So, chapter four is out now.
Tell me how it was!

What else do you think could be the reason of Madhuri's disliking against marriage?

I just wanted to get this chapter, and the epilogue of Adore (which is coming out later today) as soon as possible, because I need to start studying! 

My exams are starting in a few weeks, so yeah 

ಥ_ಥ

I don't know when the next update will come out, but I wanted to say thank you because we are going to hit 1K on this book soon, and that's amazing! 

So THANK YOU! 

And I'll see you...whenever I'll see you. 
BYEEEE!