Chapter 8: Weird

Chapter 8: Weird

Alena Fleur

"How can someone be so careless? You were doing so well, and you could have kept that up. But no! You had to go knock yourself in the face. This is why I'm always telling everyone at the office to never get overconfident, but look at you now!"

I was holding a bag of ice to my chin as Elian scolded me mercilessly. With how much he was rebuking me, I almost wanted to yell back that it was his fault—his stupid damn charming smile!

"It's not my fault, okay? It's the gun's fault," I mumbled with a pout.

"Of course, it's never your fault. You're the most innocent person in the world," he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

I continued pouting.

"C'mon, let's get you to the doctor," Elian urged.

"No, it's just a small thing. Look, the bleeding stopped as well." I pointed to the tissue in my nose. "Plus, it's not even broken. Why bother going to a doctor?"

"How about we let a professional decide if your nose is broken or not?" he let out.

"No. I'm not going to a hospital," I said stubbornly. I hated hospitals with a burning passing and never went there unless it was an actual emergency.

"I never said a thing about going to the hospital. We're going to the office where my family doctor is coming to give you a check-up," he clarified.

I furrowed my brows. "How do you know?"

"I don't know anything. I just don't want to go through the procedure of admitting you to the hospital and getting an appointment. It's too much pain, anyway."

He could just ask for an emergency appointment. Plus, he had the influence... I couldn't understand what his deal was.

"Are you secretly my stalker?" I asked directly.

"As if I have nothing better to do," he scoffed.

"I don't know. You're always just sitting behind your desk and doing whatever you do," I accused.

"Hey, I work hard too," he protested.

"Sure, you do."

No one knew better than me how hard he worked, but well, I wasn't going to say that right now, was I?

"You're annoying. Come on, let's go back to the office."

I nodded and got up from the bench I was sitting on.

Once we were seated in his car, the driver started the car. I checked my phone to find ten missed calls from my mom.

My heart leaped in fear, wondering if something happened to Dad.

I quickly called her back, but by mistake, I put it on speaker, but before I could turn it off, her voice boomed throughout the car, "Ms. Alena Fleur, where on earth have you been? Why are you not in the office and why did you tell Anya to tell me you love me and your dad a lot if you don't return to your cabin in an hour? Do you have any idea how worried we have been, young lady?"

Oh, shit, I forgot to tell Anya that I was going out of the office with Elian, and she actually called my mom to pass on my message. That girl...

I was about to respond to Mom, but a burst of sudden laughter stopped me.

I glared at Elian, who pressed a hand over his mouth to stop laughing, but he just couldn't control it. I glanced at the driver, who was successfully controlling his laughter.