Chapter 4

Leah POV

As I hear the arrival of the helicopter, it triggers my instinct and almost immediately, I grab Jamie and run off with him to the bunker.

"Shh, Stay quiet Jamie. It's just for a little while and then the chopper will leave.", at least I hope it will.

There have been numerous cases of air strikes from planes and helicopters over the past year. Luckily, Jamie and I have been able to escape those.

Nearly three months ago, if we were just a few meters ahead, we wouldn't have survived. After spending a week on just bread, we were both exhausted and weren't alert to our surroundings as we should have been. It was truly fortunate that we barely made it alive. My thoughts were cut off by Jamie's words.

"Leah, the noise is gone. It's been nearly an hour and I'm hungry. Can we go back up? I was in the middle of eating my bread. Please."

"Let's wait a couple more minutes to make sure. I'll leave first then when I tell you it's safe, you will follow me. Ok?"

Satisfied with my response, Jamie follows me out of the bunker to our temporary residence.

We can't even call a building in which half of it destroyed our home. For the next few blocks, this one of the only buildings that withstands the effect of the war.

It's been a few years since any of the people remaining in this country had a home. This country that once a home to hundreds of thousands of people, is more like a prison to the remaining tens and thousands that are left.

As we enter the house, I notice that the closet that stored a bottle of freshwater and some loaves of bread is raided. All that's left is the piece of leftover bread, Jamie was eating from before.

As I grab it I say, "I know it's a bit dusty, but it's all there is for now. Will you be ok with eating it?"

"But I already ate half of it. What about you? You gave me your bread piece yesterday, so it's only fair I give you mine today.

"You're the child, plus I'm not that hungry. I've cleaned off most of the dust. It should be edible now. Eat it and go to sleep." I say and quickly end the discussion.

After a couple moments, Jamie finally took the bread and bit into it. With a reassuring look, he took the final piece and was dozing asleep on my lap.

"Are you human Leah. I mean you always stay awake to look out for the army and you barely eat any food. And still you somehow can run quickly with me underground."

"It's called being hopeful and loving someone. One day, we'll be able to flee this country and you can have a normal childhood. Going to school, befriending kids your age,having hobbies, and most importantly not having to fear for your life every minute of your life."

I thought of how happily and peacefully both of us will live once we escape this country. It's a saddening thought, knowing Jamie never had a normal childhood. Seeing his parents die and having to wander the streets alone for quite some time, is something no one should experience, let alone a child.

"And we can live happily together. You can have your dream job by designing homes and then marry someone you love. Then I can boss around your kids like you boss me around." Jamie finishes his statement laughing like it's the funniest thing he's ever said.

"It's called being an interior designer and we have a long way to go before I have any children."

He just smiles at me with a knowing look, and I shake my head chuckling at his innocent youthfulness.

The smile on his face motivates me to wake up every morning and take one step closer to freedom.

"You should sleep now. We have to wake up early tomorrow and leave this place. The army must've known people live here after finding the food. Goodnight Jamie."

"Goodnight Leah" he yawns, then gradually lets his eyes flutter as he finally dozes off to sleep.

"I'll save you, I promise. You have to trust me I'll get both you and Jamie out of here. I love you always and forever." the owner of those capturing green eyes day.

I wake up to the noise of a gun fight. It's nothing out of the ordinary in a wartorn country. The unusual aspect of this fight however, is that there seemed to be a literal battle going on. Moreover, it doesn't seem like it's going to be over soon.

As the noises get louder and my heart rate picks up, I begin to wake Jamie up. Just as he finally reaches consciousness, the noise seems to subtle down.

"What is it Leah? Do we need to go to the bunker again."

"No, I think it's fine now. Go to sleep, I'll wake you up if I hear anything."

"You should get some rest too," he says and drops back into his deep slumber.

As I listen to the regular breaths of Jamie and the quietness of the night, all I can think about is the mystical green eyes that spoke those soothing words to me in my dream.

His eyes were as green as the grass during the rainy seasons, yet held emotions as strong as the depth of the oceans. His lashes seem so long and luscious, yet so natural. With his eyes alone I felt like I've known him for ages and understood his personality.

It didn't feel like a dream; it felt like a message from the future. It felt like motivation.

With the thought of escaping for our lives, I've never had time to think of a romantic relationship. Especially since many of the evil army men tricked young women to marry them and provide them heirs to continue this horrible system for the next generation. I came to the conclusion that it's safer to remain alone, than be tricked by the wretched army men.

The hopefulness of meeting someone after escaping this war is always intriguing, but it was never something that I've needed. With that thought, I succumbed to my tiredness and fell asleep as the night seems to be peaceful at last.