Chapter 29

Leah POV

I woke up to a splitting headache and flicked as the sunlight directed towards my direction. I groan and pat near me to feel Dylan, just to feel nothing.

Groaning, I forcefully opened my eyes despite the bright lights in search of my husband, when he walked through the door. He was carrying a bowl with something in it and looked at me guiltily.

"Hey babe."

I murmured and revived a sweet morning kiss.

"Goodmorning love."

I used my fingers to rub my head, as our whispers felt like screams. The headache slowly disappeared as Dylan held the bowl towards me.

"Say ahh, it will help with your headache."

Before I could open my mouth, he used his fingers to open it as I heard a crack, then a cold slimy substance entered my mouth. I gagged and almost threw it up, until Dylan straightened my head, forcing me to swallow it.

After a second, I gave the angriest glare towards my husband, expecting answers.

"Dylan, what was that?!"

"Calm down love, it's just an egg. It will help you with your hangover."

"An egg?! Hangover?!"

"Remember you said it's the cure to a hangover when I had one. Now that you have one, I repaid my debt."

"I didn't drink any alcohol, so how can I have a hangover?"

At this question, Dylan's cocky attitude stopped as he gave me a sheepish look.

"The soup from yesterday. Uh, the boys might have poured a bottle of wine in it. For taste-"

"You allowed me to drink two whole bowls of soup that had an entire bottle of wine?!"

I grabbed the pillow near me and chucked it right into his face. He caught it just in time and took a couple steps back, holding his arms in surrender.

"Wait, listen Leah. I never knew after you passed out and when I went outside, half the men were drunk and the sober half explained the alcohol in the soup.

You were dead asleep and snoring by the time I came back, so I just let it be."

"You know telling your angry wife that she is snoring doesn't help, husband."

"It was cute. Trust me. Atl least I gave you a hangover cure, love."

"U poured raw egg down my throat and forced me to swallow it."

"You did the same to me a few months ago."

"I told you it was an egg and you drank it voluntarily."

I nearly growled, feeling the contents of my stomach churn. I quickly sprinted to the bathroom and vomited all my contents, including the egg.

Dylan held my hair back while saying comforting words and apologizing profusely. After dry heaving for a few minutes I tiredly slumped myself against Dylan, as he helped me wash my mouth in the sink.

I felt him lift me up and lay me on the soft mattress, as he brushed through my hair, easing the headache. I cuddled myself into his chest as he wrapped his arm around my body.

"I'm sorry, love."

"No, I'm sorry for getting so emotional. I don't know what happened. You didn't intend on getting me drunk."

He hummed a response, as he played with my hair while leaving a kiss on my forehead. I felt myself drifting back to sleep, yet my mind being awake at the same time.

"Don't you have work Dylan?"

"My main priority is you, love. John and Kennedy are taking care of everything as we speak."

He took his shirt off and snuggled into the bed with me, as I felt his strong thumping heartbeat. I played with the hair on his chest and looked toward the wedding ring he placed in my finger.

"There's not a store in miles from this camp. How did you manage to buy a ring and get it to fit my size perfectly?"

I looked up and saw him looking into the distance as I relived an old thought. A ghost of a smile was on his face, with a hint of sadness.

"I never bought it, love. When I landed in America, the doctors told me this ring was tied around my neck when I arrived there.

I believe it belonged to my birth mother, or so I hope. I tried looking at it and remembering something, anything, but all I get are these voices in my head; telling me they always love me and to be safe."

"You gave me your mother's ring?"

"I carry it everywhere I go, to each war. I just can't be apart from it. It's like my good luck charm, almost. I know it sounds foolish-"

"No, it's not foolish. I would do anything to have a part of my mom or dad. This ring is a way for you to know that your mother will always look out for you."

"And now, she'll look out for you as well. Even if I don't remember her, I'm sure she would love you like a daughter."

I teared up at his heartfelt gesture and in sorrow of his lost memories. He grabbed my hand and played with the ring.

"I believe some part of it is missing. A jeweller told me that a stone or gem was placed here. It's probably lost forever and maybe is the trigger that will help me remember my family.

I tried replacing it and making a stone for it, but no stone felt perfect with it. Either it wasn't a perfect fit, or the colour was just off. It didn't feel right."

At his observation, I looked down at the ring to realize that indeed, a part of it was missing. I was carved slightly for the stone to fit perfectly. The golden colour of it was unique, that no ordinary gem like a ruby, diamond, or emerald will suit it.

"It's still beautiful, and you're right. It's part of your mother. She will be so proud of the man you have become."

I grab his face and give him a kiss of love and respect. He's been through so much pain, yet he is the gentlest soul I've ever met. He grabbed my face and looked deep into my eyes.

"When we part in six months, I don't know if I'll ever see you again. When I left my mother, I wore this around my neck as a memory of her, and now you can wear it as a memory of me."

I cried as he said it as the months were passing by. In four months, I will be heading to America with Jamie.

"You know, I haven't told Jamie yet. I don't know how to tell him this news. This is all we wanted, but now I rather stay here."

"He deserves a proper childhood and he can't get that if he's stuck here. We will tell him together. The sooner the better, so he can prepare his farewell."

I nod at that thought and get up. If I keep avoiding this I'll never tell my younger brother.

"We're telling him now?"

"I want to, I know I won't tell him if I keep postponing it."

Dylan nods his head and wraps his arm around my waist, walking down the hallway to tell my brother the news.