Chapter 25

Leah POV

In less than eight hours I'm going to be married to the love of my life. I'm kind of nervous, but mostly excited and honoured to be Dylan's wife.

Being quite superstitious, I told him that although we planned this marriage in less than a day since we got engaged, that we would still spend the day separately until it was time.

An hour in solidarity, I immediately regretted it and started missing his kisses and flirtatious behaviour. For the meantime, I tried to make a wedding free out of a white floral maxi dress Dylan gifted me.

With talks excess material, I was able to make a bow tie for the ring barriers, my brother and Max. From what I've heard, Jamie and some other men were helping decorate the wedding hall in their spare time.

I couldn't wait to see the hall and him. My love insisted that he keeps it as a surprise until it was time for me to walk down the aisle.

I spent the next two hours reading a book, Romeo and Juliet. Despite the sorrow ending, somehow deep inside me, I knew a part of me would die if anything ever happens to Dylan.

A knock on the door snaps me out of my thoughts, as John came in with a piece of paper in his hand.

"Love note number twelve for the future Mrs. Romano."

With a courtesy bow I laugh at his dramatics and read the letter.

"I should go before your husband goes insane for me not helping them with the benches."

"An hour left till you're my wife, mi amore. Can't wait to see your beautiful face."

Following my request, Dylan has avoided my sight the whole day, but that didn't stop him from writing notes with loving messages. Somehow, through his notes I felt connected to him, as if he was saying those words right by my side.

My mind suddenly clicked to the message in the letter. There's only an hour left! I must have lost track of time reading this book.

Frantically I got into my dress and styled my hair with a few wild flowers. Make up wasn't found here, but with some kohl and red pigment, I was able to accentuate my eyes and lips.

I check the time again to see that there's only five minutes left. I grab my dress and run out to bump into a hard chest. Rubbing my nose, I see John laughing at my misery.

"Ouch!"

"Are you ready baby sis? You know you still have a chance to run away. Although I'm a hundred percent sure, Dylan won't rest until he has found you."

"I'm not running away. He's the love of my life. Where's Jamie?"

I look around for my younger brother to see him with a look of defeat beside Max. Walking over to him, I crouch down to his height to see the commotion.

"Hey, Jamie."

"Hey Leah. You look so beautiful. Dylan's going to faint when he sees you."

He gives me a hug and laughs, probably imaging a fainted Dylan.

"Now, I want to know what caused your mood to go down?"

"Max won't wear the matching bow tie. Dylan and I both tried and failed miserably."

I went to Max eight the ribbon and obediently he allowed me to tie the piece of cloth on his neck.

"That didn't seem too difficult."

I proudly looked at the tie, seeing a shocked Jamie.

"I hate to ruin this sibling moment, but I believe you're a few minutes late to your own wedding. Unless you want Dylan to go nuts and flip this camp, I suggest you come."

I rush and link my arm around John's as he opens the door to our outside venue. The place looked gorgeous, with flowers everywhere as the sun set behind us, giving a romantic vibe.

Everything around me freezes as I look at the love of my life in his army uniform. He looks at me with so much love, I nearly tear up.

He reached for my hand as I held his strong warm ones.

"Hi"

I squeak nervously as my cheeks blush because of his intense stare.

"Hey, love"

"Today we have joined together to celebrate the marriage of Dylan Lucas Romano and Leah Simone West."

I listen to every word of our conductor and calm myself through the green eyes of my soon to be husband. He seemed to look deep into my eyes and zone out as the priest requested him for the vows.

"Dylan?"

"Huh, sorry."

For the first time he looked quite lost and nervous, and couldn't help the chuckle that left my mouth. He should be looking tough and scary in his military uniform, but instead he looks adorable.

"It's time for your vows."

"The moment I saw you, I knew you are special. Despite being covered in debris, blood, and tears you were the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. I know our journey has a long way to go, and this war is a mere obstacle. I will always love and cherish you, as my wife, my better half, my soul mate, and the love of my life.

"I, Dylan Lucas Romano, take thee, Leah Simone West, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith."

"Leah, your turn."

After hearing his vows I realize how truly lucky I am to have him as my husband. I'm not sure if my vows will be half as good as his, but I know he knows that the love I have for him is infinite.

Trying to control my tears from streaming down my face, I clear my throat as I am about to read my vows.

"After being alone for so long and carrying so much pain, the moment I met you, I knew I wouldn't have to suffer alone anymore. Whether I escaped this war or not, I felt hope for the first time, knowing I'll be with the man I love. You treated Jamie and I with so much love and care, I don't know how I'll survive without you. I love you so much Dylan. You're my everything.

"I, Leah Simone West, take thee,Dylan Lucas Romano, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith."

Before the priest could continue, Jamie and an obedient Max walked down the aisle, carrying the ring. Dylan looked surprised to see Max with a bow tie, then gave me a knowing look, paired with his signature smirk.

He thanks them and grabs the beautiful ring, as it slid smoothly down my finger. I still wonder how he got a ring in such a last minute, especially being isolated in this part of the country.

The marriage officiator continues with his saying,

"I now pronounce thee Dylan Lucas Romano and Leah Simone Romano husband and wife. You may kiss your bride."

The moment he said he leaned down and captured my lips as I eagerly kissed my husband back. Our tears were strolling down our check as it got mixed along with our kiss.

We break the kiss off after the hooting of the soldiers and laid our foreheads on top of each other.

"I like the sound of that, Leah Romano. It has a ring to it."

I chuckle at his response as we walk towards the cafeteria, just in time for dinner. Our first dinner as husband and wife.

We have a small first dance, as I lay my head on his broad chest, with him kissing the top of my head. Afterwards, we cut a small wedding cake as he smears the icing on my face.

"Come on Mrs. Romano. I believe it's time for bed."

Before I can respond he swiftly carries me off toward our bedroom in bridal style, as I let out a squeak in surprise.