13: Eyes of Evil

Sumedh

My heart started pumping faster and faster. My mind was straight-out frozen. It felt like I couldn't hear anything else. The same words kept repeating over and over again in my head. "I wanted to marry him...that Rajkumar Sumedh."

She wanted to marry...ME?!

I looked up at her, ignoring everything else she had said to me. If it was any other time, I would have asked her to repeat the words over and over and over again. I would have yelled back at her. I would have threatened her. But not now. Definitely not now.

_____________________________________________

Mallika

He rushed out of the room. Perhaps disappointed by my words at the end? It didn't matter, he had to know the truth. I just couldn't hold back anymore.

I sat back down on the ground, not being able to control myself. I know he deserved to hear that, but at the same time I felt a sense of regret. I should have listened to what he had to say. He might have had some explanation.

I slowly got back up and went over to the window. My curiosity had no limits. I have to make sure he is... Looking out, I saw that he was seated under the tree, writing in that journal - the one that had glowed the other day. I watched his face, switch between emotions of shock, distress, and confusion.

Why is he always so stuck to the journal all the time?! I swear that I had heard him talking to someone this morning as well. But no one had come around. I still have a doubt...

____________________________________________

Sumedh

Why? That was the only question running through my head. Why did she want to marry me? I never even met her in my life! And she doesn't even seem like the type of person whose after wealth. Apart from that, she even seems like a knowledgeable person. She even sensed, somehow, that I was here for a greater motive...something she didn't know about. I wanted to go tell her everything - why she's here, what the journal is, and...who I am. But at the same time, I couldn't. I didn't know if it was the fact that I didn't have the guts to do so...or that I didn't want her to know who I am. If I tell her, she'll feel differently. And for some reason, even though it's dangerous, I want to accept the fact that...someone wants me? NO! I can't do that!

Oh Kismat,

Today she told me something unbelievable. Something that scared me too much. She wanted to...marry me. But in any case, I couldn't tell her the truth. She's too innocent, she doesn't deserve to die from my misfortune. And most importantly, if I told her the truth...I would have to live in fear everyday that I, myself, would fall in this trap of love too. It's going to be hard but I can do it: I won't let her die because of me.

___________________________________________

Mallika

I took some time to ponder...to try to make up unknown answers to all my questions. I knew it wasn't exactly possible, but sometimes it felt good to imagine. I went back to the time he brought me here. If his intention was to abduct me, he would have shown it by now. But no...he actually gave me my space and respect. He tried his best to make me comfortable: supplying food, sleeping outside, and always addressing me with dignity. Then if his intention is not about me...what could it be?

"Anybody inside?" The voice of a man shook me out of my thoughts. I walked to the doorstep and looked out to see a big, muscular man, standing a couple feet away. He was wearing commoner's clothes - seemed like he had come from the village. Stepping out, I walked over to him, inquiring his desire.

"Sir, may I help you in any way?"

"Only you can help me...pretty lady," he replied back, the corners of his mouth turning into a just noticeable smirk.

I took a step back, keeping my distance. I scanned my surroundings to catch sight of the Rajkumar, but then I realized. It's almost lunch time...I think he left to get food. "Alright..what can I help you with?"

"Kind lady...I have gotten an injury. Is there any way you can help me...or tend to my needs?" He turned slightly to show a cut on his forearm. I inspected the cut and saw that it was indeed bad. I could just use my power - wait no. If I do that, then our whole cover will be blown. But I can't just send this man off without helping him. Maybe I'll quickly find some herbs...

"Definitely, I will help you. Please sit here," I smiled, pointing to a rock outside.

He walked over and sat down while I grabbed a pot of water from inside. Time to put my knowledge from Suryani into action. Coming back, I grabbed some banana leaves to cover the cut with and quickly made a herbal paste. Walking over to him, I began to wash the cut. Out of the corner of my eye, I could tell that he was watching me intently. Mallika, it's okay. Just finish your work as quickly as you can and then he will be on his way.

As I continued to tend to him, he started talking. "You know...your eyes are really pretty. And your hair is just so luscious."

Ignoring his words, I continued to work in silence, fastening my pace.

"And your lips - just soft. And the fragrance-"

"That's enough Sir! And I have also finished tending the wound. Now if you would please make your way back, that would be much appreciated."

I've had enough with this "complimenting". I turned around to leave, when I felt myself being pulled back...

 👑

Do vote, comment, follow, and share please!

Also thank you all for 1.5k views and 300 votes! Truly grateful 💖