31: Because of You

Sumedh

"Why don't we talk about this later?" I tried convincing, but to no avail.

"No!"

God...

"We can't be together yet...people will grow skeptical--"

"I don't care! Just answer my question!" her voice so strong, even making me shiver a bit. "What did you desire for? You're hiding something..."

An exasperated sigh left my mouth. "Can we not do this now?!"

My tone took her back in surprise, and her gaze hardened. "Fine." That simple yet pained word stabbed at me. As she turned around to leave, something inside of me lost myself. It felt...miserable. And that misery made me stop her. "No wait!"

She stopped on her tracks but didn't turn around.

"I...desired that your marriage will break the curse on Suryani."

The very next second she was up in my face - scolding. "WHAT?! Were you mad?! What's going to happen when you go back to Sondhara? NOTHING! Everything's going to be the same darkness for you! You had such a good chance to--"

"It's we."

"What?"

"It's: what happens when we go back to Sondhara."

"I-I don't think I quite understand."

"Everything will change...just because you'll be with me this time. I'm taking back home a priceless gift - a gift of happiness and love! I have hope this time! People will change - all of Sondhara will change - because of YOU!"

____________________________________________

Mallika

Looking into his eyes, I saw the excitement of a child; hopeful for something new. So I let in. I drowned into the bliss of his happiness, shrinking all my anger and confusion.

"And how many more days until the curse vanishes completely?" I inquired, faking oblivious.

"You don't know?" he raised his eyebrows, inching closer.

"N-no."

"You don't know the day of your own marriage?" the distance between us was almost closed.

I want to hear it from your mouth. "No."

"4 more days." the whisper in my ear echoed over and over even after he left. 4 more days.

~ 3 Days Later ~

Sumedh

"More flowers on that column!" one maid zipped past me.

"Change the color to red!"

"Straighten out those curtains!" Curtains...I freezed. The first time we saw each other. The unforgettable memory of seeing her through the red transparent curtain flashed into my head. Those mesmerizing eyes...that sparkling smile--

The sound of metal clashing onto the ground startled me.

"Oh! I-I'm really s-sorry R-Rajkumar! Please f-forgive me." A young lady beside me scrambled to pick up the platter of clothes that fell down. Shaking my head at my folly, I knelt down to help her out.

"Don't worry...it was my fault for dozing off. I apologize for this trouble." Quickly folding up one of the clothes, I reached out to hand it over.

"Here!" But no response returned from the lady. Puzzled, I looked up to meet her face just to realize she was staring at me dumbfoundedly. "Uh hello?" Still nothing to break her gaze. Finding no other option, I snapped my fingers in front of her face, finally alarming her.

"I-I'm really really sorry! I don't know what happened there, I just--"

"It's okay."

"Oh wow okay! Rajkumari was right after all! Oops! Please forgive me - I have a tendency to talk a lot!"

Rajkumari? "Um if you don't mind me asking, what was the Rajkumari right about?"

I noticed a mischievous smile from the lady. "I'm Rajkumari Mallika's personal assistant AND best friend, Shrishti, and I'm the only person she tells all her secrets to. So what do I get if I tell you this?"

"Uhh, you can be blessed with my everlasting love as a brother?" I tried. Is she seriously trying to bribe me? Well clearly it worked.

"RAJKUMAR SUMEDH AS MY BROTHER! WHAT CAN BE BETTER THAN THAT?!" Her antics made me chuckle. "Okay I'll tell you! She said from the swayamvar hall to all the times she spent with you - and I quote - 'there's no one else better for me than Rajkumar Sumedh of Sondhara himself'."

I couldn't help the smile that made its way onto my face. "That's...sweet of her."

"Yeah don't tell me that. Tell HER!"

WAIT WHAT?! I said that outloud?!

"Anyways, I have to go now!" I heard her pipe up. Before I could say anything, she turned on her heel to sprint down the aisle. "Oh and last thing I swear! You look good when you smile, Rajkumar! Make sure it's there for the wedding tomorrow!"

That smile made its way onto my face again as I rolled my eyes. "Have a nice day Shrishti!"

1 more day...

👑

Another short part...tbh it was kinda a filler...apologies

BUT there was a reason why this part was trash! It was so the wedding can be a whole part by itself next 😉

Do comment, vote, follow, and share please!