Eight - Hello, Brother

Ransom stalked right into the house like he owned the place, brushing right past the police officers waiting for him.

"Hugh Drysdale?" said Elliot. 

"Call me 'Ransom', it's my middle name.  Only the help calls me 'Hugh'."

"Charming, as always. You'll have to excuse him," said Flora, embarrassed by her brother.  

"We're Lieutenant Elliot and Trooper Wagner - we'd like to ask you a few questions."

But Ransom brushed right past them.

Sighing, Flora followed. She felt terrible - not only because Blanc had heard her exchange with Meg, but also because he had heard it right after their flirty exchange.

Yes, she was certain about the flirting now.

But how could she concentrate on that when her brother had just arrived?

She hurried after him, finding him rummaging around in the pantry.  "Ransom - Ransom! What the hell?"

"Hey Baby Sis."

"Try again."

"Hey, Flo."

"Better.  Where the hell have you been?"

"Oh, you know, around."

"I've been working my ass off trying to get a hold of you. We need to talk-"

"So you said many times in your messages."

"Oh, so you did get them? You just didn't respond." Asshole. "God damn it, Ransom. Dad's having an affair." Not even this stopped him.  "He's cheating on Mom!"

He shocked her by chuckling. "Oh Flo, you're so cute. You're really that surprised?"

"Well, yes. And you're not?"

"Nope."

"B-but-"

"Oh come on, open your eyes, Flo. Or maybe you'd notice these things if you were actually here." He raised his eyebrows at her on his way by, box of cookies in hand. She just stood rooted to her spot, shocked. 

"What, like you?" she finally found her voice again.

"Even I'm here more than you are." 

"Um, Sir, we're officers of the law." Elliot, Wagner, and Blanc stood outside the pantry waiting for him.  

"You gonna run me in? I don't feel like talking, I'm distraught."

"Hey Benny, you wanna ask this guy some questions?" Elliot asked.

Blanc looked like he'd already had enough of the Thrombeys for one day, and it wasn't even 10:30 in the morning. Flora felt immense guilt knowing she'd played a key role in that.

"All right, what's this? What's this arrangement?"

"Mr. Drysdale," Blanc stepped in.

"CSI KFC?" he took a jab at Blanc.

Again, he brushed past them and waltzed into the living room where the rest of the family was waiting. 

"Hey Frannie, how about a nice cold glass of milk," he  requested, dropping into one of the leather chairs with his box of cookies.

"Hey asshole, not her name, not her job," shot back Meg.

 Asshole was right. 

"Morning everyone," said Alan, the lawyer.  "We're just going to be in the other room setting up. Be ready in ten minutes."