Twelve - A Donut Within a Donut

Marta killed Harlan. She killed Granddad. Harlan hadn't committed suicide after all. He had been killed.

"All right." Was all Blanc said after Marta had filled him in on the whole story as requested.

It felt like a long and torturous eternity before they finally reached the house.  Flora was already out of the car when it had barely stopped.

"Flora!" cried Marta. "Flora, wait, please!"

But she didn't wait, she didn't stop, she just burst into the house.

Her head was spinning, she didn't have enough air. Granddad... 

She found herself standing before the portrait of him, staring up at him sadly. 

"Hey Princess." She gritted her teeth at her father's voice behind her, and the stupid nickname. "What's wrong?"

"'What's wrong?' Really? Are you kidding me?" She spun around to face him. "As if things weren't bad enough, with what happened to Granddad, and the police showing up, and then I have to find out that you're cheating on Mom."

Richard sighed.  "You know, huh?"

"Oh, yeah, I know."

"How'd you find out?"

"Doesn't matter. What matters is now I know. You should be ashamed - I know I am." Without another word she stormed away.

"Flora." She turned to see Ransom standing there. Clearly the police had brought him home.

She didn't say anything, just ran into his arms, burying her face in his chest. "Marta... Granddad... Medicine," she choked out.

"I know, I know," he said, rubbing her back, a surprisingly comforting gesture from him. "But don't worry, she won't get away with this - we'll make sure of that."

--------------------------------

Marta stood before the family who had all been assembled in the living room, about to make her confession.  She squirmed, unsure of how to start, unsure of how to tell them that she was the reason for Harlan's death, that she was responsible. 

Flora still couldn't believe it. Sure, it had been an accident, but it was still so shocking. She stood off to the side, along with Blanc, who was looking over some document. 

Finally, Marta spoke.  "You've always been good to me. What I'm about to say isn't going to be easy, for me to say and for you to hear, and you're going to be upset. But I thought after what you've all gone through the last few days, you deserve, at least, to hear it from me." 

"Excuse me!" Blanc burst into the room then, interrupting what Marta had been about to say. The hard truth.  "You have not been good to her. You have treated her like shit! You tried to steal back a fortune that you lost. And that she deserves! You're a pack of vultures at the feast, knives out and beaks bloody! Well, you're not getting bailed out, not this time. Ms. Cabrera has decided not to renounce the inheritance."

"What?" cried everyone, including Marta. 

"Furthermore, it will be my professional recommendation to the local authorities that the manner of death in the case of Harlan Thrombey is ruled as suicide. The case is closed. Thank you all for coming, goodbye." With  that, he took Marta by the arm and led her out of the room, followed by Elliot and Wagner. 

Flora's jaw dropped - she had never seen anyone stand up to her family like that before, and honestly, she was impressed. But also confused. The case was closed? When had they decided on that? Something was definitely missing.