Chapter 9

We both entered through the door, the music streaming even louder - if that was even possible. The traffic of people near the door wasn't as heavy as I though it'd be, but as we moved further into the party, down the hallway and past the living room, the room was packed. 

It smelled like a mixture between beer and perfume, which together, was not a perfect harmony. I wrinkled my nose, scanning the heads for a blonde one. If Annie saw me there, it was over. 

Indefinitely. 

Someone bumped into me, some of their beer sloshing onto my bare arm. I glared at the girl, who didn't seem to know up from down at that point, as she made her way through the maze of Royal high's students. 

"There's a lot of people here," I said to Jess, who's eyes were wide and lively. Jess always loved the party scene, but find me someone at Royal high who didn't. 

Oh wait, me. 

"What?" she said back, the music drowning any hope of conversation. 

I shrugged, forgetting it and checking my phone time. We'd only been there for four minutes, and I was planning on being here for another four before ditching. Technically, I wouldn't have lied to my parents, right? I said I was going to Eric's party, but not for how long. I smiled to myself, content for just a moment in the sea of teenage absurdity. I was becoming the queen of loopholes. 

"Jess!" Her head shot up toward the kitchen, grinning. Miles, from Jess and I's fifth period, was waving at her. He was grinning sloppily from ear to ear, his secret crush on her quickly becoming less of a secret. 

I looked at her, expecting her to either stay by my side or bring me with her. But she just rolled her eyes, smiling and leaning close. "I'm getting a drink. I'll be right back." 

She was gone before I could answer, leaving me standing alone in the mass of people. I looked around me, alarmed and feeling like prey. People weren't actually looking at me yet, but they would be soon. The alcohol was surely slowing the process of realization.

The song changed to heavy rap, sparking a new current of movement through the room I was in. Guys and girls slipped past me, their arms brushing against my own. A familiar tightening started  in my belly, making its way up my chest. I tried to reach for my hair, but it was swept to the side and there were too many people around me to fix it. 

I searched for Jess, finally spotting her at the other end of the room. She was pressed against the  pantry door, a drink in her hand and a flirty smile to match it. Miles' figure towered over her, and there may have been exactly four inches of space between the two of them. Great. Thanks for nothing, Jess. 

I had to get out of there. My wingwoman, or whatever she'd be called in that scenario, already ditched me. I checked my time - fifteen minutes had passed. I turned, knowing I had had enough and it was time to go. Jess could get a ride with Miles. 

I dodged around people, and I quickly realized that it was harder to get out than it had to get in. The party seemed to have doubled by the time Jess and I arrived, which deepened the tightening in my chest. If Annie wasn't here yet, she'd be any moment. I knew she was a stickler for showing up fashionably late. 

The front door opened, revealing a rush of incomers. Among those, a platinum blonde head stood out the most.

A breath hitched in my throat, and I had to think fast. I spot a bathroom a few feet in front of me, so I shoved past people as quickly as I could. I didn't care if I was causing too much attention to myself; anything was better than being spotted by her. 

I finally reached the handle, pulling it and stumbling into the four-by-four bathroom. I pulled it shut, locking it and sighing a breath against my racing heart. I figured I could wait a few moments for Annie to make her way to the beer pong, then make my escape.