7 - Do What's Necessary

Carter noticed how his brother flinched at Eric's footsteps above when he woke. He knew that he was scared of the humans, but he'd never seen Damien shy away like that before.

Just what exactly had happened out there?

_____________

When the morning rolled around, it was even colder than the last. Carter rolled over in bed and tugged his blankets closer over him, trying to savour any and all body heat to protect himself from the brisk cold. He knew it'd be better if he actually got out of bed and lit the fire, but that required leaving his warm bundle of comfort and the idea didn't strike him all too well.

Carter shut his eyes again and tried to force himself back to sleep, but it didn't work. It never has. It was as if there was some sort of switch inside of him, where once he was awake then he was awake for the day. Naps never suited him well either, unless he was extremely exhausted. Aside from the one occasion in his life where he'd fainted (due to heat), he's rather alert and aware.

And that's how he could hear the faint rustle of Damien's bed through the wall as he shifted in it, finally stirring from his night of deep slumber. He groaned in annoyance, obviously trying to hide himself from the cool morning air as well. Neither of them wanted to get up and face the day.

They both layed there awake in bed for another little while, but ultimately it had been Damien to get out first. His breath ragged as he pulled himself into a sitting position, leaning over to grab his crutch. Carter listened for the soft click of it hitting the ground to know that his brother was on the move, but he didn't get up to go greet him just yet. He knew that Damien wasn't really a morning person.

The soft click of the crutch grew louder until it was outside Carter's door, and he jumped lightly as the other gave a slight knock. The door opened anyway, his brother not waiting for a response.

The blonde looked up, meeting his brother's gaze.

"Hey," the older borrower spoke, in that certain tone he always used after their fights.

"Hey.." He replied back a little awkwardly, a soft smile growing on his face. "Feeling any better?"

Damien shook his head, and Carter's smile faded.

"No, not really. But I'll be fine." Again came his famous dismissive wave that he did even if things were not going to be fine. It didn't put Carter at ease.

"Anyway, I was wondering where you're hiding the food. Could really use some breakfast."

Carter's chest seized as he noticed the dark rings still remaining under his brother's eyes, and he realized that he'd probably need more than one good sleep to correct all of that deprivation.

"Yeah me too," He laughed lightly, his smile returning as he gestured to his room. "I've got it in here... got kinda tired of going between my bed and the kitchen."

"It's literally outside your room," Damien protested at his laziness. "Right outside your door."

"It's far!" Carter whined, even though they both knew he was being unrealistic. It was true though, having snacks across the room was much better than having to go to the kitchen each time his hunger or loneliness or boredom ate away at him.