Chapter-6

Emma's POV

Flashback

I was in the kitchen kneading the dough for some delicious donuts. Suddenly I hear a lady shouting at the top of her lungs. She sounds very familiar but I can't decipher who it is.

I quickly wash my hands and grab the washcloth that was hanging by my shoulder to dry my hands. I went to area where the commotion was taking place. I saw the back of a lady, who had a very posh attire on. She had dark brown shoulder length hair. She looked pretty tall compared to the average height of a woman. Well, that was mostly because of her expensive looking 6 inch heels.

"What kind of a horrible staff you've got there! She does not  know how to serve a cup of coffee without spilling it! She has ruined my coat. I am flabbergasted. Ugh The management of this bakery has got even worse!" The lady was shouting at Caitlyn.
That is when it clicked me, who this woman was.

"Aunt Margery?" I say out without thinking twice. She turns to me and is taken aback.

"Emma?" She asks discombobulated. "What the hell are you doing here? Please don't tell you took over your parents' bakery."

"Yes Aunt Margery. I am running Sweet Tooth now. Will you please tell me what is the matter?"

"My my, I shouldn't even be surprised. No wonder why this place is a mess."

"Excuse me? What do you mean?"

"What I mean is, have you seen this place? It is nothing like how it used to be. Your parents worked day and night to make this the best confectionery in town. And look what you did!You have made this look like a hellhole.  The food is shit, the staff lacks management, and the owner is all the more irresponsible. What do you even know about owning a confectionery?I'm so glad that Jacob and Mary are no more. They would've been very disappointed in you. You just turned their dream place into a lousy piece of shit." With that being said, she stormed out. And I was left frozen, not expecting the sudden blow.

Will mom and dad be really disappointed in me?

"I couldn't take the humiliation anymore. So I grabbed my stuffs and ran out of the bakery store." I said to Jon sniffling.

By now, we were sitting on the couch with me in his arms and us, surrounded by my used tissues. He was stroking my hair and gently pushed my head to lean on his shoulder.

"Don't listen to a thing she said, Emmy. You and I, we both know that not a single word she said is true. You've come a long way honey. The store might not be flourishing the way it was when your parents were alive, but you have to take baby steps."

"But it's been 6 years since I started this Jon. In 6 years this is all I could make out of Sweet Tooth. I'm supposed to be carrying the bakery forward, not ruining it. I'm so weak that I couldn't even stand up for my staff. I ran from there like a coward."

"Emmy, you are not a coward. You wouldn't take up the challenge of running a confectionery all by yourself if you were one. And it doesn't matter how long you were running this. Everyday you learn something new. You might not be the best now, but you were better than the Emma who started this when she was just 18. Stop comparing your performance with that of your parents'. Always compete with yourself. Sweet Tooth might not be booming now, but it is not the end of the world, is it? You've still got many years ahead of you. You can make it a big success in the coming years. And when it comes to your parents, trust me Emmy, they are damn proud of you. It doesn't matter to them how you run Sweet Tooth. What matters is that you are giving your best to keep it going. What matters is that you're willing to work hard to keep their dreams from crumbling. And what matters the most is that you are happy while doing it. Don't let some stupid aunt of yours make you feel that your hard work and dedication towards Sweet Tooth is worthless. She hasn't seen you working your ass off, she hasn't seen how much this means to you, she hasn't seen the love and affection you hold for your parents' possession. Don't let her comments run over you Emmy. Don't let her believe that your dreams are inconsequential. "

I couldn't hold it anymore. So I threw my arms around his waist and hugged the living life out of him.
"Thank you Jonny. Thank you so so much. You have no idea how much this means to me." I whisper softly.

"Anytime Emmy. You deserve much more but this is all I can give right now" He says kissing my head.

"I don't mean to ruin the moment but I'm kinda hungry. I'm sure you haven't eaten anything since morning either." He says pulling back.

"Oh yes we were supposed to go out for lunch. Why don't we go and grab something now?"

"Or we could just order something and stay here. Why don't you put on some nice movie and I'll order in the meantime."

"Sounds good" I say grinning from ear to ear.
I couldn't be more thankful to him so before I could decipher my own actions, I grab his face and kiss his cheek.
We both froze at my gesture. But Jon clears his throat and gives me a sweet smile to break the ice.
"So how about we order some pizza?" Jon says taking his phone out.

"Okay. " I say as I try to pick a nice movie to watch.

We were comfortably sitting on my couch watching  a cheesy romantic movie.  The pizza we ordered was long gone. Jon's coat was hanging by the armrest of the couch. He slowly puts his hand around my shoulder and pulls me closer whilst rubbing Tony's tummy, who is taking a nap on Jon's lap. I subconsciously put my head on his shoulder and breathe in his musky scent. So relaxing.

"Emmy?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you mind if I ask you what happened to your parents?"

________________________________

Hello my lovely readers! I hope you guys are doing well and good. I won't bother you with the author's note in the upcoming chapters. But I just wanna say thank you so much for reading the story and I hope that you enjoy it.
Please do not forget to vote this chapter.
See you guys soon ♥️