Have You Seen Me?

Parker

September 18th, 2021

In a place like Nighbury Falls, it felt like a dream. It felt too good to be true. After being through hell and back and the fact that something good was coming our way, felt unreal. We're moving here shortly after everything happened, and we've been trying to make up for the lost time. As soon as we enter Nighbury Falls, it reminded me of Twin Peaks. A small town with many little stores, diners, and pretty people with a style that you're just born with. The air had an eerie feel to it and was full of aesthetic features. It was somehow nostalgic even though we've never been here before. I have heard little about this town, but what I have heard are nothing but good things. There's only one thing that bugs me though. Since it is its own small town, everybody knows everybody. There are no secrets-- your business is everyone else's too. I'm not sure I'm up for something like that, but we have to try. We have no other choice. Along with Nighbury Falls, there is a neighboring town called Ravenscroft, but I don't know much about it. All I was able to read up on it was that some rich people lived there. They were separated from Nighbury Falls for a reason. They didn't want to be associated with "common" people. They were rich and wanted everyone to know it. What I did find out is some of the most prestigious families lived in Ravenscroft Manor, located in the heart of Ravenscroft. After I saw pictures of that beautiful manor, I needed to know what people in that town actually did to live that life of luxury. I came up with nada, nothing. But that's not important. Nighbury Falls is my new home, not ever something like Ravenscroft.

After spending about 8 hours on the road, we stopped a way down from Nighbury Falls to refill the tank. And behold, we stopped in Ravenscroft. It was nice here, really nice. Nicer than what we were used to in New York. It did remind me of New York, but without the overwhelming crowds. The sidewalks were nice and clean, and the roads looked like they were just freshly paved. I've never seen anything like this in my life. The cars we passed were all luxurious. There was a certain charm to the town. The gas station we ended up at was nothing short of expensive. All the pumps were manual, and the station had a classic, timeless feel. The station was an all-brick building with green light poles on each side of it. The windows were glass and were double-sided, reflecting what was outside. Bushes surrounded the building with beautiful flowers of every kind. There was only one car in the parking lot, a classic blue sedan. "I- this is amazing," my mom says with her mouth gaped open. "I don't even know if I'll be able to afford the gas, it's probably expensive," she exclaimed. "Okay mom, let's not be too drastic," I said to her. Then I thought, maybe she's right. This is not our norm, but for them, this could be pocket change. As our car pulls in front of a pump, my mom and I looked at each other with a mix of awe and skepticism. The town seemed to embrace simplicity, a departure from what we were accustomed to.

As my mom is trying to fill the tank, I decided to go inside to use the bathroom. I had been holding my pee since we left the house because my bladder always does this to me. The moment I no longer have access to a bathroom, it's suddenly Mount Rushmore. I walk into the station and I'm immediately hit with the smell of roses and champagne. I can't explain it, but it smelled luxurious -- if luxury had a smell. This place has been well-loved, is one way to put it. It looks like it never saw a speckle of dirt in its life. There are about a good 12 rows of shelves with snacks and about 5 rows of drinks in the refrigerated section. To my left was the clerk with his head buried in some kind of magazine that I did not want to investigate the name of. It made me feel out of place with my oversized Nirvana tee hanging off the edge of my left shoulder, ripped baggy jeans, and my worn-in Converse. He was wearing a suit that looked brand new, possibly tailored to him because it fit him too well. It accentuated all his features nicely. Sharp jawline, icy blue eyes, nice blonde hair trimmed to a T, and a poster child smile. I walk over to him slowly because my social anxiety was kicking in. It's grown worse since my dad died.