Chapter Ten

M A R E E N A

"Yes, Steven. I will go to the Gala with you."

He flashes me a handsome smirk and his eyes have a look I cannot identify. Here it goes the ultimatum. Oh boy do I think he's gonna be surprised when he hears what I have to say.

"I will go on one condition.", I add. His smirk drops and he raises his eyebrow at me with a slight look of irritation. Trying hard to not let a smug grin appear on my face I inhale slowly.

"I will go IF.... " ,I pause. He furrows his brows in frustration and I take in another big breath.

"You go to church with me." I finish trying to mask my uneasiness. I won't ignore the obvious fact that Steven is not standing with open arms to the idea of church and a relationship with God. I just really would love to know that if he received something that I did my part as a servant of God.

He releases my hands and takes a step back frowning. He crosses his arms and raises his eyebrows silently calling my bluff. Copying his stance I add pursing my lips. After about a minute of staring each other down he huffs and throws his hands up in the air.

Some might say, your asking this man to attend church in exchange of a glitz and glam Gala.

Yes. Yes I am.

Call me ambitious. I call it determined.

"Fine! Don't expect me to shout and shake a tambourine!", he shouts stomping out the door. I let out a big breath of relief and a wide grin spreads across my lips.

"Yessss!", I whisper pumping my fist in the air. I look up towards the ceiling still smiling.

Jesus you always come through!

I stomp my feet frantically in excitement. My hairs bounces around at the movements.
Catching my breath the smile seems to be stuck on my lips.

Turning around I am met with Steven leaning against the doorway with his arms crossed once again with an amused smirk on his face. I stand frozen with my mouth slightly agape. He raises his brow at me chuckling a bit.

"Are you done with your victory dance?", He asks chuckling. My cheeks heat up in embarrassment. I probably looked like a toddler after their parents bought them a new toy.

Shuffling my feet I glance into his eyes and his colorful orbs are misty with a certain emotion. The long wispiness of his eyelashes draped over his cloudy hazel eyes make him look even more handsome. His arm muscles flex as he folds his arms and I wet my lips as my heartbeat thumps in my ears.

His hair is ungelled today so his silky black tresses are combed backed into a wavy pompadour with a cute curl hanging over his forehead. My body heats up as I scan over this handsome man. My eyes go to his thick, full, and arched eyebrows that are in the position I've seen them in numerous times. The right one raised.

My eyes travel to his straight nose to his chiseled jaw with 5 o'clock shadow stubble on it. My gazes halts at his lips and I gulp in an attempt to add some moisture to my dry mouth.

His lips are a natural pink and the upper one is a bit darker than the bottom. They are beautifully full and have a natural arch to them. Despite me not seeing him apply any balm, they look nicely moist. While I stare at his lips I realize that they are moving.