Thirty

As we approached lights burst through the windows. Blindly I came to a stop and I hopped out of the car. "Stop!" I heard the cocking of more than a handful of guns surround me. I raised my arms and turned toward the lights. "Its me! Don't you remember I was here earlier!" After a few second someone answered back, "Well I'll be damned, you actually came back!" A familiar voice yelled. I heard the sounds of machinery clanking around and a few seconds later the man appeared in front of the spotlight shielding the light from my eye with his head. "Well, you have anything for me?"

I turned and walked to the backseat. I opened the door and pointed with both arms inviting him to take a look. Holding up a flashlight the man took a look inside with two other guards peeking over his shoulder. "So, how do we know he's the Alemmani leader?"

"Honestly I figured y'all already knew what he looked like I ain't know I needed proof."

"Only the Mayor has spoken with the Alemmani leader."

"Oh great we'll just bring him to the Mayor then-"

"He's dead." I became annoyed, "then why did you even say anything?"

"We will let the Mayor's son take a look." The man motioned to the two guards to grab the man. "We will give you a place to stay and talk to the Mayor's son tomorrow."

"Wait what about that guy- our friend?"

"He's in the hospital."

"Is he alive?"

"I don't know I took him there and left, you have to talk to the doctor." I clinched my fist and gritted my teeth as we followed him to the makeshift lift mounted on the wall. "What about our cars?"

"We'll find a place for them, don't worry."

"I don't want you motherfuckers touchin' my shit so don-"

"Your shit will be fine... don't worry."

"You know I really don't fuckin' like you."

"The feeling is mutual," he said slamming a lever down, which revved the engine driving the platform upward. "And what about some grub, ain't had a proper meal in a couple days." Everyone who had been silently staring to their feet suddenly grew an interest in the conversation. Their stomachs hummed in harmony. "We'll send some food to your... rooms."

"Thanks... and y'all got a shower or somethin' I'm tryin' to wash my ass."

"Who the fuck do you think you are?" I think I had successfully annoyed the man. "I'm Gary motherfuckin' Brightside mother fucker and I'm tryin' to wash my ass... and my sweaty ass balls." The platform came to a halt. We continued passed the series of guards accepting a welcoming row of noisy glares.

"Brightside? I think I've heard of you before." My ego shot a bit of a high through me. "Well I wouldn't be surprised I-"

"Yeah, I heard you and your boys here think you're some hot shot bounty hunters or drug dealers or something."

"Think?"

"Yeah, we don't like that here in Thirty so don't cause a scene while you're here."

"Yeah, no problem if everyone here's like you hopefully we ain't gonna be here long enough to make trouble."

The man shook his head and the rest of the walk was silent. Thirty was a beautiful place, like a dream world. The sidewalks had no cracks, flawless sections of concrete lining the smoothly paved streets. Trees grew tall following parallel to the sidewalk, shielding the sky. The stars filled the spaces between the leaves dancing like fire. The town was well lit, with people walking about. Eyes glared as we walked by as if we were a parade. Smooth jazz gossiped through the streets. Though it was a nice change of scenery it was most certainly not my kind of place. We kept walking passed the town and down the road a bit where the lights ended. We came to a building; the face atop a hill and the back fell with the slope of the land. A flag flew in front of the building, a red and black cat on a white background.