14

Cassian

Cassian

"Are you sure you have to leave?"

Jake stuffs his pair of swim shorts in the suitcase and then zips it up. "Yeah, man," he replies. "Gemma has a doctor's appointment on Monday." He taps the paper bag he set aside. "Make sure Penelope gets this. I forgot to give it to her last night."

I grab the paper bag from the foot of the bed and open it. "What is it?"

"Fruit soaps Gemma bought for her. They're from a market in Bangkok."

The first one I remove is carved in the shape of a cut mango and has a glossy finish, making it look similar to a real mango. "Impressive," I comment, slipping it back into the bag. "Can't you reschedule the appointment?"

Jake sets the suitcase on the hardwood and sits down on the edge of the bed, crossing his arms. "Okay. Something's bothering you." He makes a waving motion with his hand. "Come on, let's hear it."

I stare at my best friend, jealous of his tanned skin and the ring on his finger. When Jake was focused solely on Hanna, I thought I'd be the first one to settle down and marry. To Jake, romance was folly. Until Gemma snagged him, I always assumed he would be the fun uncle to my kids. It seems our roles have switched. In six months, I'll be the fun uncle. Jake will be a dad. It makes jealousy wreak havoc on my nervous system. Ever since I was a kid, I've wanted a big family. I want to make sure my knowledge is passed down to the next generation. Cultural appendages aside, I just want a family. After helping Jake and Hanna... I don't know. Raising a family is in my future. I want to love them unconditionally and teach them life's lessons. But throughout my trials and errors, I can't seem to find a woman that blends with me.

Sitting down, I run a hand through my hair. "I have doubts about my date with Ophelia tonight," I admit. "She's daring and strong and independent, but she doesn't balance her life well. It's all work and no romance. No time for herself. I went to the winery, and she was still there—five hours after it'd closed. All she ever talks about is work."

"Then don't go out on a date with her," Jake shrugs. "We're allowed to say no to women, Cassian. Remember Olive?"

I suppress a shudder and wonder how Jake and Nolan got through being her target. I can't believe I thought she was hot. "How could I forget that psychotic woman?"

"I declined her. Call and cancel if you don't want to date Ophelia."

"That's my problem. I can't cancel because I want to prove to her that love isn't just some fickle byproduct. She needs to learn how to balance her lifestyle."

Jake smiles, toying with the zipper of his sweater. "While the world appreciates your good heart, you can't always change someone's perception. If Ophelia's parents raised her to focus on accomplishment and work, then you can't hope for the best outcome. Cassian, don't waste your time on someone who doesn't give you purpose. I know you had a crush on her and I understand there's a longing to rekindle that old flame. It's what I felt when I saw Gemma at Raw and Real. Step back and realize separation over time changes people. There's no pause button. You can't pick up where you left off. Whether we like it or not, life keeps going."