What Started In Beautiful Rooms, Ends With Meetings In Parking Lots

Three Months Ago

Elizabeth looked around the cafe for an empty table. She had just arrived a few days ago and didn't know a soul, so she had to find a table that was out of the way.

"C'mon, you can come sit with me and my fiance." Someone grabbed her arm and Elizabeth saw a brunette smiling down at her. She was dragging Elizabeth to a table with one of the most gorgeous men Elizabeth has ever seen. "'M Grace. This is Alex, my fiance."

"Not doing this again, Grace."

"Shut up, Alex. What's your name?"

"Uh. Elizabeth. My friends call me Lizzie."

"Lizzie! I love it! You're a new face, when did you get here?" Elizabeth looked over at Alex, who was silently studying her, biting his lip.

"A few days, I was in London a few months back, but I just arrived in Dover."

"I've always wanted to go to London; Alex says it's too dangerous right now. He says that it will be a target for the war."

"So did my family. That's why I'm here."

"Well, if you ever need a friend, I'm always looking for friends. Especially since Alex will be leaving in a few months for France."

"Jesus Christ, Grace, tell her my life story why don't ya?"

"Shut up." Elizabeth's eyes widened as Grace said that, expecting Alex to get mad, but he just laughed, kissing her cheek. "Do you have a job here yet?"

"Oh, no. I'm still trying to find my way around here."

"The hospital always needs extra hands. If you want, I can walk you there. I have to get back to the docks soon anyways." This time it was Alex who spoke up as he stood up from the table. "C'mon, it'll be a way for us to get away from Grace." Alex leaned down, kissing Grace. "See you later, Love." Elizabeth stood up too, making her way towards the door where Alex was.

"Take care. It was nice meeting you Lizzie!"
"You too." With that, Alex and Elizabeth were off to the hospital.

Two Months Ago

"She's so fucking annoying. Seriously, what the fuck gave her the idea to fucking invite all of Dover?" Alex was pacing in front of Grace as she leaned against the empty wall of the ballroom. It was a tradition now. She and Alex would take their lunch breaks together. Usually, they sat at the back of the hospital, but Alex wanted to show Elizabeth the venue that Grace chose for the wedding.

"Alex, hey, it's Grace."

"She knows I wanted something small. I've never been fond of big things."

"I know, Alex, but this is Grace we're talking about. She loves making a spectacle of things. You knew that when you got engaged."

"Fuck, I should've proposed to you." Elizabeth stopped short.

"Alex-"

"I mean it. I should've met you before Grace." Elizabeth opened her mouth to respond, but Alex had pulled her in by the back of her neck and his lips were on hers. The worst part: she was kissing back. As they pulled back, she felt her heart soar when Alex smiled at her. "I have ten minutes."

"I have fifteen." With that they were unbuttoning each other's clothing and falling to the floor of the empty ballroom that was too gorgeous for what they were about to do.

NOW

The day after the dance was hell for her. Elizabeth paced at the back of the hospital. She knew that Alex would come. He always came, even when they were upset with each other. She heard footsteps and she looked at the alleyway, seeing Alex appear.

"Hi."

"Hey, Betty, how're you feeling today?" He walked up to her, taking her head in his hands, leaning for a kiss, but she pulled away.

"Alex, we need to talk." He sighed. "This. Us. We need to stop. It's gone way too far. You're engaged for fuck's sake. I have Damien, who I love, and he's fighting in France right now."

"Fuck Damien. If you loved him so much, you would've told me about him the first time we did anything. You're just feeling guilty because it hit you that he could die and you're giving more of a shit about what we do than his own life."

"Fuck you. I love Damien. He's the reason I'm here in the first place. He sent me to Dover with the little money he had left so he knew I would be safe. Ireland has the I.R.A shit still happening and London's too dangerous. Fuck you for saying I don't love him. This is done. Have a great rest of your day." Elizabeth turned on her heels and walked back into the hospital, ignoring Alex calling her name.