You Showed Me Colors You Know I Can't See With Anyone Else

Grace and Elizabeth walked into the shop, arm in arm, smiling about a memory that they spoke of on the way there

Grace and Elizabeth walked into the shop, arm in arm, smiling about a memory that they spoke of on the way there. They both had letters waiting for them at Elizabeth's home, but they were waiting to pick up their photos, so they could immediately write back to their soldiers. Grace had letters from two, while Elizabeth had letters from the two soldiers stuck on Dunkirk beach, and also from the Irishman that was somewhere else in France.

"Lizzie, look! You look absolutely fantastic! I told you that color would show, even though the photograph was black and white. Elizabeth looked down at the photo that was now in her hands, seeing that what Grace had said was true. The blue dress that she had worn, was a shade of gray that no other part of the picture possessed. Elizabeth sighed, thinking about how Alex had loved that shade of blue, a shade that Elizabeth had never actually realized existed before Alex.

"Well, let me see yours." Grace smiled, showing her photo to Elizabeth. Grace was gorgeous, as Elizabeth expected. Grace came from a wealthy family and could easily dress up if she wanted. Elizabeth always was taught that the nicest thing that she would ever own would be one Sunday dress and her smile. Grace was taught that jewels were a girl's best friend. "You look amazing, Grace. Alex won't let the other soldiers see you because he'll want to keep you away from them." Grace smiled, taking her picture back from Elizabeth, and went to pay. Elizabeth looked back at her photo, remembering when she had bought the dress. It was before she ever started something with Alex, she bought it because Alex had told her to. Even before they had an affair, he could get Elizabeth to do whatever he wanted.

Alex had shown her colors that she didn't even know existed. He had grown up in a wealthier family, similar to Grace. He could afford silk and bright colored dresses for Grace. The moment Grace had told Alex that Elizabeth hadn't had the luxury to wear any clothes that they both had, Alex had made it his mission to show Elizabeth what she was missing.

Elizabeth smiled at the memory but was shaken out of her own head as Grace yelled her name and waved her over to the counter. Grace had already paid for her photo so Elizabeth rushed to pay for her photo and the two women were off.

"I'm so excited to send my photo to Alex. He never really had a photo of me. He drew me a few times at the beginning of our relationship, but nothing professional." Grace looped her arm around Elizabeth's and basically dragged the short woman along. "Has Damien ever received a photo of you?"

"No. We never really thought that photographs were worth it since we were neighbors. He always knew where I was. I knew where he was as well. We decided to put our earnings away for when we got married. He always had a dream to own a farm of his own."

"And what about you?"

"Hm?"

"What was your dream with him?" Elizabeth smiled, taking her keys from her purse and unlocking her front door. "C'mon, you must have one! I have so many!"

"I just always wanted a family and Damien seemed to as well. I don't know what he's feeling anymore. Especially since the war. I would be happy to go home and own a farm with him."

"You're so low maintenance, Damien must like that."

"I grew up with the idea that if I had a roof over my head and a man who loves me, that's all I need."

"Well, that's cute." Elizabeth rolled her eyes. Grace and she were from completely different worlds. "I'm going to write to Alex."