Chapter 17 - Homeward from Gibraltar Pt. 4/4

15:00

     Y/n landed on Audacity after Eric and the other Martlet landed. Four Condors have been shot down over the course of 10 days, including two today with Y/n and Eric both accounting for two Condors. However it comes at a price, out of eight Martlet Mk IIs on the carrier, only six were serviceable and the loss of the 802 NAS's Executive Officer, Lieutenant Cillian Hill.

     Y/n walked into the ready room as everyone in the room went quiet. He wrote the word "MIA" (Missing in action) behind Cillian's name on the blackboard. 

Y/n: "Lieutenant Cillian Hill is now presumed missing in action as his Martlet crashed after being hit. There will be no first lieutenant until further notices."

     The pilots in the room were even more confused, some of them even stood up and walked to the board out of disbelief. Y/n waited for them all to return to their seats.

Y/n: "For someone like him who has gave so much but asked for so little, it's very unfortunate. However, this isn't the time to mourn. Until then, we can only hope he is still alive somewhere."

     Most of the pilots nodded their head in agreement while others, especially those from Cillian's flight hid their faces behind their hands. Y/n walked out of the room and into his quarters to take a rest as the convoy will soon reaches it destination at Gibraltar in 3 days.

7th of December 1941

17:35

HMS Audacity, Gibraltar Harbour, Gibraltar.

     Y/n was reading a news magazine when someone knocked on his room's door in a hurry, he opened the door only to find out that it was Eric.

Y/n: "Why are you in such a hurry, Eric?"

Eric: "Sir! There's something you might want to listen to in the ready room, sir."

Y/n: "Alright, alright."

     Y/n walked out of his room and closed the door as they began walking down the hallway, they walked into the ready room where all the other pilots joined by some of the aircraft crews including Damian were listening to a BBC radio report.

Damian: "Sir, you have to listen to this."

Y/n: "Sure thing."

     Y/n pulled in one of the chairs and sat down on it. He moved his head closer to the radio just as the BBC reporter started speaking.

BBC reporter: "-----Today, exactly at 7:48 a.m. Hawaiian Time. Pearl Harbor, the principal American base in the Hawaiian islands was attacked by the Japanese from the air. Initial reports indicated that several battleships were sunk or damaged, more than a thousand deaths have been confirmed as of now. The Empire of Japan hasn't formally declared war on the United States of America as of now, we'll keep you updated as more reports come in."

802 Pilot 5: "So those yanks are finally joining the war."

     Y/n was not surprised by the news, in fact he was rather happy. Britain was on its own against the Reich for two years now. Now that the US is going to join the war, the chances of winning are even higher but they will also have to fight the Japanese now. Those 2,000 soldiers and sailors lost, although unfortunate, awakened the sleeping giant.

     Y/n stood up and just as he walk about to walk out of the room, a sailor walked into a room and told him that the captain of HMS Audacity, Commander MacKendrick wanted him to report to his office immediately.

     Y/n walked out of the ready room and further down the hallway. He knocked on Commander MacKendrick's office and opened the door.

Y/n: "Lieutenant Commander Y/n L/n, reporting sir."