Letting Go - Chapter 13

She was wrong. Ray might not look like a royal now, but she had it in her to be a great leader. Fuck, I attacked her and triggered her past issues yet she still apologized to me because she saw I needed it. And the way she protected that little girl, demonstrated just how much of the Valkyrie instincts she has. Not to mention the power that basically dripped off the woman and I was pretty sure she was still holding back on us. 

No, Ray was wrong. She was going to make an amazing royal one day. Right after she realizes how far beneath her we really were, and leaves.

--Connor

The stop at Polly's took much longer than I had expected. Camilla kept touching me like she needed to reassure herself that I was still here and Roberto spilled the beans that I was here and two other kitchen guys showed up to see me. We all stood around talking about nothing of substance for over thirty minutes. It was all very weird.

Eventually, I convinced them that I needed to get going and slipped out the back with my backpack and new work schedule. That had taken some doing, but I had finally convinced Camilla to allow me to keep my hours. Her concerns about my hand were sweet, but I really couldn't afford to skip many shifts. 

When I came around the corner I saw that Maria was clinging to Blake's back as he chased Connor around the parking lot. For a few moments I leaned against the wall and just watched the scene play out. All three of them were smiling as Connor darted away from Blake's attempts to tag him and Maria's giggles permeated the air. It was a happy, carefree sight that warmed my soul.

Blake must have seen me, because he darted over to my hiding place and Maria promptly tagged me while calling that I was it. I gave her a big smile and then tried to reach out and tag Blake, but he was too quick on his feet. In fact, both of the massive Berg twins were wicked fast and after five minutes of relentless chasing I came to the conclusion I wasn't going to out run them. 

Time to out think them. 

I cloaked myself and while the boys were looking around I simply walked up to Connor and tagged his shoulder. He spun around, surprised by the touch and I plastered on a huge smile before revealing myself to say "Tag your it."

As Connor's eyes focused on me he faltered for the smallest moment before declaring that I wasn't playing fair. The relief of being able to show someone else my Gifts and using them just for the fun of it was almost overwhelming. I felt my smile growing even larger and I let out a peel of laughter of my own. 

Connor didn't start chasing me and Blake came over with Maria who struggled out of Blake's hold and ran over to me while holding her small arms in the air. She was too fucking cute for her own good. I reached down, pulled her into my arms, and started twirling. Her laughter mingled with my own and I embraced the bubble of happiness that was welling up inside of me.

When we stopped spinning, I looked over to find the twins with identical looks of shock on their faces. That sobered me up fast. Without much thought I materialized three shields. One around me and Maria and one each for the twins. I gripped Maria tighter to my chest and turned to scan the area for whatever had put that look on the boy's faces. I didn't see anything but I wasn't taking any chances. I swung Maria to my back and she obligingly hung onto my neck and wrapped her legs around my hips. I called my kataña and started slowly backing up toward the truck.

"Easy Ray," Blake said in an overly calm voice. "Nothing is coming after us. You just got spooked." I looked over to see him and Connor staring at me with concern lacing their features. It was so different from how they looked just a moment ago. What had happened. Did I really read this situation so badly? I scanned the surroundings again, but the parking lot was still empty.