The Trial - Chapter 19

I couldn't get that mention of the Rabec Clan out of my head. I knew I had heard that name before. Some big news story when I was a kid. It was bothering me all night so this morning I used the Valkyrie records database to find the information that was sitting just outside of my memory. The second the news headlines popped up on my screen, it started coming back to me. The Rabec Clan was a group of top notch hunters for the America's Northeast Kingdom. Almost twenty years ago the entire clan just disappeared. The supernatural community and royal families had launched a huge coordinated investigation that lasted years, but no trace of them was ever found. 

Until now. 

Ray's father, Samuel Olsen, was a member of the Rabec Clan and according to her, Samuel had been alive up until four years ago. So what the hell happened to the rest of his clan and how did he come out of the ordeal with a female Valkyrie child?

--Elijah

I was taking notes on a particularly tricky calculus problem when Chastity came barging into our classroom. Her eye makeup was smeared, several strands of her red hair had been pulled free from it's hairband, and she was breathing heavily. 

Something was very wrong.

"Excuse me," Chastity said to our math teacher. "Ray Olsen is needed in the office right away." Then she turned and scanned the classroom until she met my eyes. I saw desperation within them and stood to follow her out of the classroom. The second the door closed behind us, Chastity grabbed my hand and started running down the hallway.

"What is going on?" I asked while we ran.

"Wolves from a neighboring pack showed up unannounced and confronted Lawrence while he was with some others from his pack. They are in an empty classroom right now, but if they wolf out in the middle of the school, we are all up shit creek," She explained and turned down the next hall.

"Why did you get me?" I didn't even know any of the Shifters at this school, let alone some from a neighboring pack. What was I supposed to do?

"You were the closest Valkyrie that I could find. It is your job to stop this from happening," she snapped at me and swung open a door. 

I still had a good amount of forward momentum from the whole running thing, so when Chastity pushed me through the door I stumbled inside. Once I regained my footing I scanned the room to gain as much information about the situation as I could before acting. Two heavily muscled teenagers were trading blows in the middle of the classroom within a loosely formed circle of people. I recognized one of the men fighting as Lawrence, the son of the local pack alpha. About half of the faces within the room looked familiar too and I assumed they were the Skyline High students. Meaning that each side of this fight would have even numbers if it spread and the observers started fighting.

I took a closer look and saw that both Lawrence and the guy he was fighting were starting to shift. They had claws instead of hands, lots of extra hair, and no longer stood up straight. Chastity was right, if I didn't stop this we would have wolves fighting in their animal forms in the middle of a public high school. 

I formed two shields, one around each man fighting and slid them apart until they were a good six feet away from each other. They were so far into their shift that they didn't even seem to notice what I had done until they each hit the inside of my shield a couple of times. It wouldn't drain their power like if another Valkyrie touched the shield, but there was no way out.

As the two dominant wolves calmed down, I dropped my cloak entirely and allowed my strong allure to actually help me out of this situation. Within moments every eye in the classroom was focused on me and the fight was forgotten. Even Chastity was staring at me like I was the next coming of Christ.