Clan Links - Chapter 17

Holy Shit. Every time I saw this damn girl she managed to impress me. I knew she was powerful, but fuck she could fight. Connor was really improving on integrating his Strength into his hand to hand combat and even I struggled to keep up with him these days. Yet, this seventeen year old girl who couldn't weigh more than a buck fifty soaking wet was totally kicking his ass. Somehow she was deflecting most of Connor's hits. I suspected she was using her Shield to do it, but I couldn't figure out how. A shield was completely impenetrable, so you couldn't fight with one up. None of your hits would make it through the shield.

Then two Hunter's from the Blade Clan showed up and Connor's dad jumped into the fight before any of us could stop him. Jesus, Ray went after the guy like he was personally threatening one of her protected. But Valkyrie didn't claim other Valkyrie. So it must be linked to her history of Valkyrie with Compulsion. Either way, we were now so far up shit creek that I didn't know how we were ever going to get back onto the Collins' good side. We never reported finding a female Valkyrie in our territory. I had convinced Elijah that if we pushed too hard too fast that Ray would disappear on us. It had been my idea to bring her into our society slowly. Gain her trust and educate her a little before surrendering her to the royal wolves. There weren't exactly laws against keeping her existence a secret, but that was just because it never happened. Our clan was about to be decimated and the Queen was going to use her Blade Clan to deliver the punishment.

--Derik

"Where is the princess?" demanded the twins father and Blake walked directly in front of him and started waving his hand.

"Hello? Dad, it's okay. We're just invisible," Blake said but Mr. Berg didn't acknowledge him because he couldn't hear him.

"She is around here somewhere. She will show herself when she is ready," Derik drawled from the porch. He was still leaning against the support beam and drinking his coffee like he didn't have a care in the world.

"What the hell does that mean? Where did she go?" Mr. Berg yelled and started to search the area for me. It was interesting that he was concerned with finding me but hadn't said a word about his sons. Connor reached out to stop his father when he walked by, but his hand went right through because we couldn't interact with the physical world while in the void.

"What the fuck?" Connor exclaimed at the same time that the other man who arrived with Mr. Berg asked Elijah why he wasn't informed that a royal was visiting the area. I never brought people into the void with me. This whole having two different conversations going on at the same time was going to get confusing fast.

"They can't see or hear you, and we can't interact with anything on the physical plane right now," I explained and tried to catch what Elijah was saying to the mystery guy. Something about how it was a delicate situation.

"So this is what happens when you turn yourself invisible?" Blake asked. He walked over to a nearby tree and waved his hand through the trunk several times.

"Well that depends. It's like there are two planes of existence that I can travel between. I call this plane the void. I can control how far I push into the void kind of like having a dimmer switch on a light bulb. I can cloak myself so that I am just not as memorable to the people around me, make myself completely invisible, or leave the physical plane entirely. Right now we are sealed in the void, so nothing we do or say can be noticed in the physical plane. Conversely, the only power I know that works into the void from the physical plane is a shield. So your father can't compel us here. It's why I brought Connor here in the first place."

Both twins were looking at me with identical looks of shock on their faces. "Fucking shit, that's cool," Blake breathed and I gave him a tentative smile. "So you are like a super spy."