EPILOGUE

Jeet's POV

I am still in disbelief that I am getting married today. It's been three months since I proposed, and today we are having a traditional wedding ceremony, with all rites and rituals.

It is an intimate ceremony held on the lawns of Casa Siempre - the name we have given our bungalow, with only immediate family and close friends, which will be followed by a small reception at DeWorld. Tarana wanted something small and memorable with the family and suggested we donate the rest of the money, we would have spent on a grand wedding, to charity.

As expected, there was a lot of buzz and gossip when people found out about the marriage. All were taken by surprise, except Purvi, who declared that she knew something was brewing between us. There were the expected snide remarks and aspersions on her character, but Tarana handled them with dignity and maturity. She said that all the mean comments and name calling, could not faze her, because she was secure in my love for her. Gosh, I love that woman!

I wait impatiently on stage for my bride to arrive. Ash & Zee join me on stage to take a selfie and make fun of my anxious state. Akash has been walking on clouds, ever since he got engaged to Zee. Dressed in a dark green sherwani, he is colour coordinated with his beautiful bride-to-be, looking gorgeous in a heavy mint-green lehenga.

Their wedding is coming up in six months, once Akash clears all his work commitments. The details are kept a secret from the public and press, but we know they are planning a lavish ceremony in Greece. His movie released last month and was declared a major hit. Akash and Ayrene's faces are splashed on every magazine cover and billboard. Akash's popularity skyrocketed along with the movie's success, so much so that he had to hire additional security to keep away over enthusiastic fans. Zenia shifted permanently back to Mumbai. As soon as she landed in Mumbai, she marched up to Ayrene at her set and gave her a dressing down in front of the whole crew, warning the actress to stay away from her fiancé. Since then, Ayrene and Akash only acknowledge each other during movie promotions.

I look at my watch for the millionth time, sighing when it shows there is still some time remaining for the ceremony to begin. Hopefully my bride should be arriving any time now. I smile to myself as I recollect her transformation from a shy and demure girl when we first met, to a tough and capable woman, yet maintaining her kind disposition. My heart swells with pride thinking of how much she has accomplished in the last three months, steadily growing her media business with Purvi while also managing the factory in Nainital.

I cannot wait to see her, since I have not met her in person for over two months. Soon after the engagement and finalising our wedding date, I had to fly to Europe on business. Tarana travelled to Nainital, to sort out the matters of her factory and house. She returned to Mumbai two weeks ago but was directly whisked away to Purvi's house till the wedding, as the studio apartment is being remodelled as an office for her. We had decided to forego the sangeet and only had a small haldi and mehendi ceremony separately. Although we were constantly in touch through video calls and messaging, I miss her presence. 

Upbeat music and a sudden rise in people's chatter announce the entrance of the bride. My heartbeat increases rapidly, anticipating her arrival. Gasps of surprise and appreciative murmurs grow louder as the bride makes her way towards the stage, walking under a canopy of flowers, held up by Rohit, Junaid, Akshay and Samar.

As I finally get my first glimpse, I think I may just pass out from sheer thrill of seeing the most breathtaking bride on earth. She looks sensational in a deep maroon lehenga with intricate gold embroidery and bridal jewellery. I cannot wipe the silly grin off my face, as she steps up to take her place next to me. I hear her sharp intake of breath as she sees me for the first time, as well. I guess I look alright in my designer beige and burgundy sherwani. Her face is glowing with happiness and I have to strongly control my urge to take her in my arms right now.

The wedding rituals pass by quickly. We follow the instructions of the priests. Purvi, Rohit and Akshay represent Tarana's family. They participate in the rituals from the bride's side. When it is time to apply the sindoor, I recall her indignation when I put the sindoor in front of the society members, because she wanted it to be the real thing. Now when I carefully put the red powder on her forehead, her face is shining with love. As I tie the mangalsutra around her neck, our faces coming close, I whisper in her ears how much I love her, planting a gentle kiss on her cheek, making her blush. Well, she may have mentioned this fantasy of hers in passing, but I still get the opportunity to kiss her!

Finally, the rituals are completed and we are now officially, for the world to see, husband and wife. It all seems like a dream and I have to pinch myself to tell me its real. After the final blessings, my wife is taken away by my mother, sister and the other female guests, while I am left standing, accepting congratulations by the rest of the guests.

Before disappearing among a sea of ladies, Tarana turns to look at me, giving me a smile full of longing and promise, of all good things yet to come. I finally have a sense of fulfillment that I had been searching for long. My heart is at peace, knowing that as long as we have each other, everything will be just fine.

End of POV

-----------------------------------

Dev Grewal watches the ceremony proudly, as his son marries the love of his life. It fills his heart with happiness to see the blissful faces of his sons with their partners. His wife, Seema is thrilled with the addition of two more daughters to the family. She is excited that finally the women in the house outnumber the men. The ladies have bonded really well and support each other immensely.

He watches his wife fuss over the new bride, adjusting her jewellery and makeup, like any mother would, while his daughter is feeding her sister-in-law. Tarana hugs them with tears in her eyes, before they all sit down to chat, Zenia joining the gang.

Now that the ceremony is over, the wedding party moves to the food counter. Dev excuses himself from the circle of guests, heading back to the house. He nods and smiles at the other guests, as he makes his way up to his room. Ensuring no one is following him, he enters the bedroom and locks it behind him.

Once he was certain he was alone and no one saw him, he quickly moves around the room, closing the windows and drawing the curtains. He quietly walks to his cupboard and pulls out an old laptop, one he has not used for years.

He switches on the device, smiling at the picture of his young family that comes up on his screen. His smile vanishes, when he clicks on a file hidden deep within multiple folders. No one using the laptop would find it, unless they knew what they were looking for. He had made sure of it.

Dev has always been a proud family man. He can do anything, go to any lengths to protect his family and keep them safe. Now that Tarana has joined his family, it is his responsibility to make sure, she is happy and content in their house. He must protect her at all costs from anything that can hurt her.

He can hear the sounds of laughter and merriment below. People enjoying themselves, blissfully unaware of the secret he is hiding. He thought he handled everything – destroyed all traces, evidence and witnesses. He took care of everything else, but this somehow, he couldn't destroy it. He frowns as he looks at the screen. He should have gotten rid of it a long time ago, but he couldn't. It always served as reminder of the one mistake of his life he could not undo. It was his burden to carry alone for the rest of his life, as penance for his sin. But Karma being the bitch that she is, has come back to bite him with a vengeance.

Now he has no choice, he cannot afford anyone to find it. It can destroy his family and everything he has worked for. He has to get rid of it forever, for the sake of his family's happiness and peace. Dev Grewal's hands tremble as he prepares to format the laptop, to erase everything from its memory.

He looks at the image one last time, before permanently deleting it. A photo clicked by a witness around seven years ago, when Dev had travelled on a business trip. In that picture he is seen seated behind the wheel, bruised and bleeding in his damaged car, smoke billowing from the engine. Next to him is the car he hit, completely crushed and mangled, but the number plates of the car are clearly visible.

The car that was carrying Tarun and Chandana Dheer back to Nainital.

******* THE END*******