A New Beginning

THE PIZZA ARRIVES and Elise and I somehow manage to get the girls inside

THE PIZZA ARRIVES and Elise and I somehow manage to get the girls inside. We hear banging downstairs and then it stops. I glance over at Elise in confusion and she shrugs her shoulders. She puts the pizza boxes down on the table along with some plastic cups and paper napkins. The girls wait to get into the highchairs and Elise yells for Matt.

"Matt I need help with the girls."

We hear strong footsteps coming up the stairs and when the door opens my eyes widen. "You guys didn't have to fight over me playing in the game."

Owen smirks as Matt cocks a brow then both of them break out in heavy laughter. It fills the house and I have to be honest, I love the sound of men's laughter. It's so deep, yet light at the same time. Elise puts her hands on her hips and is about to lecture Matt but she suddenly cringes and grips the table.

Matt immediately stops laughing, "How long?"

Elise waves her hand in front of her, breathing through her nose. I answer for her. "She's about ten minutes apart. She's been having them all day but they're getting closer. If you ask me, you're going to be holding your little man tonight or maybe tomorrow morning."

Matt gives that life crushing smile of his and I smile back. He walks over to Elise grabbing her hand. "Should we go to the hospital?"

She shakes her head and the contraction passes. "Not yet, I'll let you know when I'm ready."

He nods. "Want some pizza girls?"

He and Owen take care of the girls and I swoon over how good Owen is with them. He's tickling their toes right now and making them laugh. I want him to be the father of my children. My cheeks redden at the thought and I clear my throat.

"We have mushroom and pepperoni." I ask.

Owen shifts his attention to me. "Pepperoni."

I put some on his plate and hand it to him. His fingers graze mine and my heart thunders. Why am I only a sister to you? Why? Earlier he kissed me on the forehead when I thought he was going to kiss me for real.

Idiot.

As we all eat are pizza, Elise has a hard time. Her contractions are getting closer and closer with each passing second, and like the ticking clock, I tick, until I can't stand it anymore. "For Pete's sake Matty, take her to the hospital."

He gulfs down his food and snatches his cars keys off the counter. "Will you guys be okay with the girls?"

I nod my head. "Yep, yep, Owen will be doing most of the work. I'll just be the supervisor."

Matt ruffles my hair. "Thanks Harp, love you."

I give him a weird look, not knowing where that came from, but reply anyway, "I... love you too?"

Elise bends over. "Take me, take me now."

Owen jumps up and helps Matt and Elise to the car. "Don't forget your bags by the door." I yell out, making Matt wave his hand and snatch them.