Don't Say Something Stupid

KIDS AT THE ASSEMBLY CHAT LIVELY as Luke and I stand with Harp waiting for our introductions

KIDS AT THE ASSEMBLY CHAT LIVELY as Luke and I stand with Harp waiting for our introductions. It's been a week since the vandalism. Harp was able to file a claim and worked hard at fixing the place up. Luke and I got a good number of tips about the suspect but nothing concrete. He and I have rotated shifts at the fields and have come up empty-handed.

Harp shifts next to me and my eyes roam over her. She's in a black short sleeved blouse tucked into fitted grey slacks, and what's even more peculiar is seeing her in heels. She looks sleek and professional.

This is a Harp I'm not used to.

I've seen Harp in dresses. She was maid of honor at Matt's wedding. But something about this sophisticated, adult-looking Harp is making it hard for my eyes to turn from her. She moves a folder from one arm to another as she pulls her loosely curled locks to one side exposing her lightly freckled neck to me.

I can feel my eyes darken and the image of me kissing her there completely takes over my mind. The principal calling our names snaps me out of my tempting thought as my eyes peel away from her. Harp motions with her arm for us to walk to the center of the gym as kids cheer and clap their hands in excitement.

Principal Reed hands me the mic and I wave to the kids. "Good morning guys. Are you excited to learn about what we do and some safety measures you can learn about today?"

All the kids cheer yes and I chuckle. I give Luke the mic and he begins teaching the kids about what we do. "Alright kids, so quick question for you. What does a sheepdog do?"

Hands fly in the air and Luke heads over to a little curly haired girl who lisps into a mic, "They protect the thheep."

"That's right. You see sheep dogs and police officers are similar. Our job as police officers is to serve and protect just like how a sheep dogs protects the herd. What are some things that a cop does?"

More hands fly in the air and Luke holds the mic to an older boy. "You scare my parents when you pull them over."

Laughter echoes around the gymnasium and I glance at Harp. Her shoulders are shaking as her hand hides her face while she laughs. I smirk and take the mic form Luke. "It's not only your parents we scare, but also Miss Collins. I've pulled her over twice now."

The kids laugh and I wave Harp over. "Miss Collins why don't you share with the kids what you do when you're in trouble with a police officer."

Harp's laughter immediately stops and her face scrunches up in anger. She straightens herself and stomps over, the sound of her heels bouncing off the walls.

She takes the mic and shakes her head at me. "I made a mistake and was pulled over for doing something wrong. When we do something wrong we own up to it." My lips thin as I hold back my laughter at the memory of her trying to bargain her way out of a ticket. She continues, "You always be respectful of authority."