The Disappearance of Kyron Horman

Kyron Richard Horman (bornSeptember 9, 2002) is an American boy who disappeared from SkylineElementary School in Portland, Oregon, on June 4, 2010, afterattending a science fair. Local and state police, along with theFBI, conducted an exhaustive search for Horman and launched acriminal investigation but have not uncovered any significantinformation regarding the child's whereabouts. His disappearancesparked the largest criminal investigation in Oregon history.

Background

Kyron Richard Horman was bornSeptember 9, 2002, in Portland, Oregon, to Desiree Young and KaineHorman, an engineer for Intel. Desiree and Kaine Horman divorcedeight months into her pregnancy with Kyron, with Desiree citingirreconcilable differences. The two had been granted shared custodyof Kyron until 2004, but when Desiree was diagnosed with kidneyfailure that required extensive medical intervention, Kaine took overfull custody; notwithstanding this fact, Desiree still remained anactive part of Kyron's upbringing.

In 2007, Kaine married Terri Moulton(born March 14, 1970), a substitute teacher originally from Roseburg,Oregon. Kaine became romantically involved with Terri around 2001when he and Desiree were in the midst of divorcing. Kaine and Terrimarried in 2007 while in Kauai. In December 2008, Terri gave birth toa daughter, Kiara. Meanwhile, Kyron was a student at SkylineElementary School near Forest Park.

Disappearance

On June 4, 2010, Kyron was taken toschool by his stepmother, Terri, who then stayed with him while heattended a science fair. Terri stated that she left the school ataround 8:45 a.m. and that she last remembered seeing Kyron walkingdown the hall to his first class. However, he was never seen in hisfirst class, a math class, and was instead marked as absent that day.

Terri's statements to the policeindicate that, after leaving the school at 8:45 a.m., she ran errandsat two different Fred Meyer grocery stores until about 10:10 a.m. Between then and 11:39 a.m., Terri stated that she was driving herdaughter around town in an attempt to use the motion of the vehicleto soothe the toddler's earache. Terri said that she then went to alocal gym and worked out until about 12:40 p.m. By 1:21 p.m., she hadarrived home and posted photos of Kyron at the science fair onFacebook.

At 3:30 p.m., Terri and her husband,Kaine, walked with their daughter, Kiara, to the bus stop to meetKyron. The bus driver told them that the boy had not boarded the busafter school, however, and to call the school to ask his whereabouts.Terri did so, only to be informed by the school secretary that, asfar as anyone there knew, Kyron had not been at school since earlythat day and that he had accordingly been marked absent. Realizingthen that the boy was missing, the secretary called 9-1-1.

Initial search efforts

The search efforts for Kyron wereextensive and primarily focused on a 2-mile (3.2 km) radius aroundSkyline Elementary and on Sauvie Island, approximately 6 miles (9.7km) away. Law enforcement did not disclose their reasons forsearching the area where they did, which included a search of theSauvie Island Bridge.

On June 9, 2010, the Horman family, whohad initially refused to speak with the media, released a statementto the press: