Life of Aldo Moro

Aldo Romeo Luigi Moro (Italian:[ˈaldo ˈmɔːro]; 23 September 1916 – 9 May 1978) was an Italianstatesman and a prominent member of the Christian Democracy (DC). Heserved as 38th prime minister of Italy from December 1963 to June1968 and then from November 1974 to July 1976.

Moro also served as Minister of ForeignAffairs from May 1969 to July 1972 and again from July 1973 toNovember 1974. During his ministry he implemented a pro-Arab policy.Moreover, he was appointed Minister of Justice and of PublicEducation during the 1950s. From March 1959 until January 1964, Moroserved as secretary of the Christian Democracy. On 16 March 1978 hewas kidnapped by the far-left terrorist group Red Brigades and killedafter 55 days of captivity.

He was one of Italy's longest-servingpost-war prime ministers, leading the country for more than sixyears. An intellectual and a patient mediator, especially in theinternal life of his own party, during his rule, Moro implemented aseries of social and economic reforms which deeply modernized thecountry. Due to his accommodation with the Communist leader EnricoBerlinguer, known as the Historic Compromise, Moro is widelyconsidered one of the most prominent fathers of the modern Italiancenter-left and one of the greatest and most popular leaders in thehistory of the Italian Republic.

Early life

Aldo Moro was born in 1916 in Maglie,near Lecce, in the Apulia region, into a family from Ugento. Hisfather, Renato Moro, was a school inspector, while his mother, FidaSticchi, was a teacher. At the age of 4, he moved with his family toMilan, but they soon moved back to Apulia, where he gained aclassical high school degree at Archita lyceum in Taranto. In 1934,his family moved to Bari, where he studied law at the localUniversity, graduating in 1939. After the graduation, he became aprofessor of philosophy of law and colonial policy (1941) and ofcriminal law (1942), at the University of Bari.

In 1935, he joined the Italian CatholicFederation of University Students (FUCI) of Bari. In 1939, underapproval of Giovanni Battista Montini, the future Pope Paul VI, whomhe had befriended, Moro was chosen as president of the association;he kept the post until 1942 when he was forced to fight in the WorldWar II and was succeeded by Giulio Andreotti, who at the time was alaw student from Rome. During his university years, Italy was ruledby the fascist regime of Benito Mussolini, and Moro took part instudents competitions known as Lictors of Culture and Art organizedby local fascist students' organization, the University FascistGroups. In 1943, along with other Catholic students, he founded theperiodical La Rassegna, which was published until 1945.

In July 1943, Moro contributed, alongwith Mario Ferrari Aggradi, Paolo Emilio Taviani, Guido Gonella,Giuseppe Capograssi, Ferruccio Pergolesi, Vittore Branca, Giorgio LaPira, Giuseppe Medici and Andreotti, to the creation of the Code ofCamaldoli, a document planning of economic policy drawn up by membersof the Italian Catholic forces. The Code served as inspiration andguideline for economic policy of the future Christian democrats.

In 1945, he married EleonoraChiavarelli (1915–2010), with whom he had four children: Maria Fida(born 1946), Agnese (1952), Anna, and Giovanni (1958). In 1963 Morowas transferred to La Sapienza University of Rome, as a professor ofthe institutions of law and criminal procedure.

Early political career

Aldo Moro developed his interest inpolitics between 1943 and 1945. Initially, he seemed to be veryinterested in the social-democratic component of the ItalianSocialist Party (PSI), but then he started cooperating with otherChristian democratic politician in opposition to the fascist regime.During these years he met Alcide De Gasperi, Mario Scelba, GiovanniGronchi and Amintore Fanfani. On 19 March 1943 the group reunited inthe house of Giuseppe Spataro officially formed the ChristianDemocracy (DC). In the DC, he joined the left-wing faction led byGiuseppe Dossetti, of whom he became a close ally. In 1945 he becamedirector of the magazine Studium and president of the GraduatedMovement of the Catholic Action (AC), a widespread Roman Catholic layassociation.