Missing: Rico Harris

Rico Omarr Harris (born May 19,1977 – disappeared October 10, 2014) is an American formerprofessional basketball player. A high school standout in his nativeSouthern California, he later led Los Angeles City College (LACC) toits first state junior college title in 1997. After his collegecareer, he played for some International Basketball League teams, andlater with the Harlem Globetrotters.

The oldest of four children born to aformer Idaho State star and his young wife, he had given upbasketball before returning to it for his last two years at TempleCity High School. He soon became a star player himself as well as atop college prospect, likened by those who saw him play to LamarOdom. He had the opportunity to play for several NCAA Division Ibasketball programs, but never did due to a combination of academicand personal difficulties. He then chose to attend Cal-StateNorthridge despite interest from much higher-profile colleges and theNBA, a decision for which he was sharply criticized since it was seenas limiting his chances of reaching the NBA.

Harris ended his season at Northridgeafter being suspended twice for violations of team rules. Heeventually made his way to the Globetrotters, but injuries from a2000 assault forced him to quit after one month. After leavingbasketball, the alcoholism that had begun to manifest itself duringhis college career intensified, and Harris became addicted to illegaldrugs as well. He was arrested many times before he was able torecover from his addictions in 2007.

By October 2014, Harris had relocatedto Seattle with a longtime girlfriend and had applied for a jobthere. He never arrived back there while returning from a trip to hismother's home in Alhambra to complete the move; he was last heardfrom when he left a message for his girlfriend. The call was tracedto the Sacramento area, and his abandoned car was found in a YoloCounty park several days later. There were some possible sightings upto a week afterwards, but none have been confirmed beyond a cellphone video the night of his disappearance, and extensive searchessince have failed to find any trace of him in the area. Hisdisappearance has been featured on an episode of the InvestigationDiscovery series Disappeared.

Early life

Harris was the first son born to HenryHarris, a former star forward for Idaho State who, after his collegeyears in the mid-1970s, was playing in a semiprofessional league inLos Angeles when he met Margaret Fernandez, then 17. She gave birthto Rico, the first of the couple's four children, in 1977. Afterwardsthey moved to Oregon, where Henry had been offered a job.

Henry Harris was for most of the time aloving husband, but occasionally he would turn violent and abusive.They moved back to the Los Angeles area shortly afterwards, and hadthree more children. Henry would often verbally and physically abusehis children, especially Rico. Despite that, Rico deeply craved hisfather's affection and approval into his adulthood.

Margaret eventually left her husband,taking the children with her as she moved to Alhambra, the suburbwhere she had grown up. Rico often held the family together whileMargaret worked full-time. Although she later said she felt heroldest son was "born to play basketball", by the ageof 15 he had given it up despite his size, and was consideringbecoming an actor. To that end, he and a friend attended HollywoodHigh School, a long trip from their homes.

After a year, Rico changed his mindabout basketball and returned to the court. Despite the minimalcontact he had had with his father since his parents' divorce, heused his father's Temple City address to enroll in high school therefor his junior year.