thirty nine

I've been stuck in this hospital for five days now. Five days of not being able to move without someone rushing to my side in case something happened.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the company of my friends and family, but they wouldn't let me do anything- and I mean anything. I was barely allowed to walk to the bathroom without an escort.

Every member of the team took turns visiting and spending the day with me, some longer than others. The girls spent almost entire days with me, I felt guilty keeping them from their personal lives. Tabitha had also come to visit frequently, giving updates on Gunner. One time, she came while JJ, Pen, and Emily were there, and the four conversed as if they'd known each other for years. It was strange to have my worlds mix, but I loved having all of my girls together.

Strauss had given the BAU a week of leave, a reward for our heavy workload recently. That is unless an important case came in, which thankfully one hadn't reached our desks yet.

Due to the extent of my injuries, I was supposed to stay home for a month. Then, I could return to desk work. It wasn't clear when I could return to the field, that would be determined at a later date.

Ryan and my mom had returned to Lancaster two days ago. They decided on selling the home I grew up in to move closer to Virginia. My mom was doing much better thanks to the treatment, and we both decided we needed to make up for the nine lost years. They were headed home to begin the process of putting their house on the market, and to search for somewhere new to live.

Aaron has been the best boyfriend I could ask for the entire week. He's stayed by my side a majority of the time, yet he gives me space when I needed it. Along with his week leave from Strauss, he took off an extra additional week to stay with me when I returned home.

Speaking of returning home, today is the day I finally get to do so. I currently stood next to my hospital bed, packing the numerous get well gifts and cards I had received into a large duffel bag.

"I got your clothes from Tabitha!" Hotch exclaimed as he entered the room holding a grocery bag that I assumed held my clothes. "Woah, are you sure you should be standing?"

I chuckled, "Aaron, I'm fine! See?" I lifted my arm above my head and hid the sour look that wanted to appear on my face.

The pain was still there, but it was bearable. I was beginning to get used to it.

He pursed his lips, not fully believing me, and sighed, "You ready to go home?"

"I'm ready to change out of this stupid gown," I muttered under my breath as I shoved the remaining items into the duffel.

He handed me the grocery bag and I slowly made my way to the bathroom connected to my room. I could feel his eyes, staring me down as I struggled to open the door. I turned around and saw him standing with his arms crossed and a brow raised.

"Fine! I need help," I grumbled. I hated being so vulnerable; being treated like a baby.

We both stepped into the restroom and he quickly helped me undress from the thin hospital night gown and into a pair of maroon sweatpants and a white crew neck.

I sighed, "It feels so good to be in actual clothes."

He smiled, "Come on, let's get you out of here."

--

We were on our way back to his house. I couldn't go back to my apartment, it was still technically an active crime scene. I'm not going to lie, I was relieved, I didn't want to be left alone in my apartment. Although Adam was in custody, I still just had a gut feeling. I couldn't describe it, but I didn't feel completely safe.