Chapter Forty-Five

My gaze drops to the tote bag and a flash of panic shoots through my chest

Emma is so close to the items I stole from her room. What would she do if she discovered they were right there, just beneath her nose, waiting to unravel her careful web of lies?

I don't want to know. I just want her to leave so I can recalculate my plans. I need to get a hold of Jordan and tell her I'll be late.

"I saw Meredith and Rowan stop by," Emma says, watching me with cautious eyes.

A clamminess breaks out along my palms. With a forced nonchalance, I wipe them across my sweater. "Rowan's in the kitchen. I'm watching her today."

"Really?" She stretches out the word as if she's just learned something interesting. "And how did you get out of school?"

For once, I see no reason to lie. "I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon with Dr. Wilder."

Emma's brows rise in surprise. "I'm glad to hear that. You know how worried I've been. I know you don't want to see him, but it really is for the best. Your mental health is important to me."

Sure it is.

"You were right," I agree, hoping to establish a sense of trust. "I must have come across as offended when you mentioned it, but you got me thinking. I haven't felt like myself lately. It's best to talk to him before anything bad happens. You know—like the last time."

Emma nods wisely, her lips inching into a satisfied smile.

Good. Let her think her plan to make me look crazy is working. That even I'm questioning my sanity. Maybe it will be easier to get her out of my house if she thinks we're on the same side.

"But now's not really a good time," I tell her. My fingers reach for the door to let her out, but before I can turn the lock, Emma grabs my hand and pulls me toward the kitchen.

"Now is the perfect time—and I know exactly what you need." She glances over her shoulder with a grin. "Both of my girls are here and we can finally hang out like we used to."

Rowan's sitting at the kitchen table, her cane propped next to her chair. At the sound of Emma's voice, all the color drains from her face.

"Hey there, munchkin!" Emma drops my hand and wraps her arms around my sister, enclosing her in a tight squeeze. "Guess who's hanging out with you today? Me!" she says, before Rowan can respond.

Panic explodes across my sister's face. "Arbor?" Her voice is timid. Fearful.

"It's just for a little while," I say as soothingly as I can. "Emma can't stay long."