76

The sounds of the birds singing could be heard as Angelina took her usual morning stroll in the garden.

Winter is coming and the weather has begun to turn extremely cold.

However Angelina did not need to even worry about getting sick, as Charles has sent over a fur coat that was ten times more exquisite than the coat the duke's servants prepared for her.

"Miss, I am quite curious. Who has been sending us these luxurious items?" Marie asked with eyes full of suspicion. Marie was unaware of the fact that it was Charles who had been sending over the gifts.

Charles's gifts varied from jewelry, gowns, books, and even to rare treasures from the Vancelia Empire!

Compared to Chase's previous gifts, It was like comparing a chicken to a Phoenix. One could immediately tell which were from a higher position.

Angelina sighed as a response. She felt like a beloved concubine receiving the Emperor's gifts as symbols of favor.

"Mmmmm..why is miss always keeping secrets from me...." Marie pouted annoyingly. She did not like the feeling of being kept in the dark. She wanted to know what was going on too!

Seeing her adorable pouting face and puffed cheeks, Angelina let out a soft giggle.

She did not want to corrupt Marie's pure mind with the schemes and battles that occur in the circle of nobility.

Angelina stopped in the middle of her tracks and went over to squish Marie's pouting cheeks.

"It's better for you to not know, Marie. These are things I, as a noble, should think about and struggle with. Someone as pure and kind hearted as you needs not to be too involved in such matters."

"Is Miss struggling with something? As miss's first rank maid, it is my duty to assist you!" Marie stubbornly said.

Seeing the clear determination in the childish maid's eyes, Angelina smiled with gratitude. It was hard to find someone so loyal in this world.

It was unfortunate the real Angelina never got to spend more time with such a loyal and dedicated maid such as Marie.

"Alright, I'll never keep secrets from Marie again." Angelina hugged Marie's body tightly. Instantly she felt warmth around her.

She couldn't tell if this was due to the tight hug, or the warmness spreading in her heart.

*********************
Evelina tearfully hugged her elder brother's arm as she wept. Seeing his precious sister's flushed and pitiful expression, Alex couldn't help but patt the top of her head and continued to comfort her.

"Eve, what's wrong? Is something bothering you..?" He asked with a tone full of gentleness and doting.

"Brother....it seems like Marchioness and Marquess Casspan don't like me very much. What did I do wrong...?" Evelina sobbed. Her eyes carried sadness and pain.

"Preposterous! How could they not like Eve?" Alex raised his voice. His rage was evident just from the fury in his eyes.

"I'm not too sure either brother...I-i don't understand!" Evelina once again bursted into tears.

"It's alright Eve. I'll make sure to pay the Casspan family a visit and confront them!"

"Sniff..sniff....thank you brother..." Evelina buried her face in Alex's chest. But it wasn't to hide her tearful and embarrassing face, as Alex expected.

It was to hide her big sneer.

**********************
That afternoon, Angelina discovered a box inside her closet. She asked what it was to Marie, and Marie answered confusingly.

"Miss keeps miss's diary there. But when Miss and I returned, I just stored it in the closet and forgot about it."

"Oh uhm yes...I too forgot that I kept it there.."

Marie nodded and left to eat lunch with the other servants.

Angelina was just about to open the box, but then she suddenly realized it wasn't her business. It wasn't her diary. She should respect the past Angelina's privacy.

But eventually curiosity took over her and she mindlessly opened the box.

It was a music box. There was a space that was the perfect size for the book inside. There was some dust on it, Angelina sneezed, before wiping the dust away with her handkerchief.

Angelina took out the book and flipped through the pages quickly. From what she saw, there wasn't much wrote in the diary.

It seems the past Angelina didn't bother to write much, or she wasn't able to.

Angelina carefully flipped to the first page. She could tell Angelina wrote this when she was little, due to the unsophisticated hand writing and language.

The first page looked like any regular diary entry written by a child. At first it seemed normal, but it began to turn slightly disturbing the more chapters Angelina read.

[ November 26th, the weather is really cold. I like Marie. She helps me a lot. She's very nice. She doesn't seem disgusted or annoyed by me at all. I really want to get better soon. I want to run around and play. It's boring staying inside everyday. But mother said my body is to weak to go outside.

[ December 2nd, the weather is getting colder and colder. I find it very hard to breathe. I think I'm getting sicker and sicker. Yesterday night, I overheard father talking about sending me away. Am I really that of nuisance?]

[December 10th, it's still really cold. I feel very weak. Even taking a breath took energy. I haven't seen mother in a while. Marie said she was busy. I miss her. Why can't she accompany me more? Am I not important?]

[December 28th, very uncomfortable. I feel very strange. I can't walk anymore. When I take a step, I feel like my leg is going to shatter and break. I wanna get better.]

[January 4th, I'm gonna be sent out to somewhere. Not sure where. It doesn't matter anyway since I can't even get out of bed]

[January 13th, she hit me again today. I don't know why. I can't even step off my bed. Why does sister hate me so much? She says I'm ugly.]

[January 22th, hard to breathe. Hard to eat. Too tired and weak to even chew. But very hungry. I wanna get better. I hope to get better]

[January...I can't remember what day it is. I'm sent away. Sad I can't see mother again. Happy I won't see sister again.]

[I wanna get better. Just one day. One day for me to play and run freely. Want to be healthy.]

[Hard to talk and write. Can't eat. Too tired to. The medicine isn't making me healthy]

[I wanna see mother. I feel pain. Very painful. Wanna get better]

[Wanna go out and run under the sun. Feel very faint.]

[Today's my birthday. No one's celebrating. Only Marie is here. Wanna cry but no energy.]

[Can't sleep. Can't eat. Can't talk. Can't play.]

[Pain. So painful. Wanna see mom. Wanna go home.]

[Doctor said I'm getting worse. Why isn't the medicine helping me?]

[Please let me get healthy]

[So cold and lonely]

[Why always sick? I always feel sick]

[Wanna see mother. Don't thing will last long]

[Pain. Hungry. Lonely. Weak. Tired]

[Head hurts]

[Feel faint]

That was the last entry.