Chapter 31

Zoey

I'd finished the last of the dishes and took a moment to survey my handiwork: two dozen perfect cupcakes with frosting. Actually seeing the result of my labors was exhilarating! I had accomplished something, and here was the proof. Since I was still healing from the physical trauma of my forced shift two days ago, I couldn't return to fulltime training just yet. As was, Van had told me to stay in the house until he and Goggles returned from a border sweep. So I'd taken myself to the kitchen after breakfast and begged Chef to let me bake something. The easiest option was something relative quick and didn't use many dishes: cupcakes. Hopefully Luna and her friends would enjoy them.

Footsteps pounded in the hall outside the kitchen, bursting my happy little bubble. I barely had time to look up before Van stormed into the room. The air temperature spiked, and something tingled against my skin. His wide eyes flashed in warning that he barely had control of his lycan. He'd balled his hands into fists which hung at his sides like a couple of weapons. He stood there rigid, like a caged animal ready to spring.

"Is something wrong?" I finally squeaked out.

"Where have you been?" he barked. "We haven't been able to find you."

"I... I've been in here for the past couple hours," I sputtered.

"You need to tell one of us where you're going to be! I've been stressing like crazy trying to figure out where you'd gone."

I stared at him for a while. Hadn't he been able to track me or follow my scent? Why was he freaking out like this?

"I didn't leave the house, just like you told me," I explained. "And I thought you would track me to here if you needed something. Your mom knows I was going to be baking in here."

He pounded a fist into the counter, the force and sound making me jump. "You're my responsibility. You answer to me, not my mother. I'm not going to go running to her every time you disappear because you want to play house."

My wolf whimpered, and I flinched as a wave of tears welled up in my eyes. This was what he thought of me? I'd gotten it so wrong.

"So what do you expect me to do?" I shot at him. "Sit in my room and wait around for your team to do their job?"

"It would be preferable," he growled.

"Like a prisoner," I continued. "...just like I was in Midnight? I'm rescued from one hell only to be forced into another. I finally feel free and—"

"I don't care about how you feel!" he exploded, sweeping an arm over the counter and sending an empty water glass to the floor. The glass shattered in a mushroom of shards.

I screamed and dropped into a huddle in the corner of the counter. The sound of shattering glass echoed in my ears, transporting me back to Midnight pack. The world glitched around me until the kitchen had morphed into a bedroom.

An overturned lamp and side table lay on the floor. A few other random items were scattered around the room as well. I huddled against the side of the bed, pressing my body into the shadows. I don't know what had set Jax off this time, but he looked ready for blood.

"Who do you think you are?" Jax roared, throwing a picture frame to the floor. "Did you think I wouldn't find out?"

I whimpered as he came around the end of the bed and spotted me. His eyes flashed, and he stormed towards me. I shrieked when he grabbed my arm and dragged me from my hiding place. He didn't stop until the middle of the room where he tossed me on top of the broken glass scattered across the carpet. I landed palms down on the glass shards, the sharp edges slicing into my soft skin. Once the initial burst of pain subsided, I could feel blood trickling out of the wounds.