Chapter 15

SORRY FOR ANY MISTAKES! THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT YET BEEN EDITED!!!

LEXI'S POV

"I've never had a big brother you know. Well by blood I guess I did, but he never did the big brother stuff." We sat on the edge of the dock. I leaned back on my hands. "Thank you Tucker." I closed my eyes, and tilted my head back to the stars. Finally having relaxed after what happened in the kitchen. "Thank you for stepping in as my big brother. Thank you for being there for me." I swished my feet around in the lake.

"You're welcome, Lex." I felt him toy with the ends of my hair. We sat in a comfortable silence for awhile.

The stars shimmered above us. The trees rustled around us. The water glistened from the moon light. This was my safe place. This is were I hide. When I would hide from Matt, I would come here. I swam, and swam, and swam. I would come home with wrinkly fingers, and dripping wet hair. The water was my shield. I would go deep underwater, forgetting all the road blocks life have thrown at me.

My whole life growing up was running or swimming.

"Was he always like that?" Tucker's words rang in my mind, stopping my thoughts.

"Alex?"

"Yeah."

I looked up at the stars. I couldn't even count how many times I had laid under these same stars with my dad. Wow, seems like a million years ago. I guess it kinda was. It's been a long time since my life was normal.

"Kinda. He was never one to sugar coat things, or to offer support. I've never been close to him. He was always a bit of a bully." I thought a little further. "He didn't used to be as crazy though... I think it's alcohol..." I trailed off not exposing how much I still worried for him. Even though I don't love him, he's still my mate. And I still want the best for him.

"Or it's you." Tucker spoke thoughtfully. "You're his mate, yet you're not with him. I'm sure his wolf is killing him about it..."

I opened my eyes and looked over at him. His feet were in he water, his head turned away looking at the woods.

"He's probably in constant pain. His heart is probably breaking. He probably just wants you back. Because he loves you. And he regrets his decision." He sounded so hurt. As though he was talking from experience.

"Tucker..." He looked over at me. "Do you have a mate?"

His eyes lost focus on mine. Thought clouded over his eyes.

"I did...." He nodded.

"Can I ask what happened?" I whispered.

His eyes came back into focus with mine. "I rejected her." His voice was cold, and hard. His eyes sharp and dark.

"Oh." I spoke quietly.

"She ran away crying.... I immediately regretted it. I chased after her." He paused. His hard facade falling away. Tears pooled in his dark eyes. "She got in a car wreck.... Died instantly." His tears finally pooled over. I wrapped my arms around him, and rested my head on his chest. "It was all my fault."

"But I was never as mean to her, Lexi! I never was!" He spoke fiercely. "We had been friends. It- it- it scared me. Oh, Lexi. It scared me so bad! I was only 16! I wasn't ready..."

"It's okay...." I hugged him tighter.

"It's okay..." I whispered again.

The dark water swished around our feet, the cool breeze nipped at my neck. He rejected his mate.... Tucker? He was so kind.... And sweet.... And caring....