Prologue

Knox

I couldn't bring myself to meet her deep blue eyes. Not when I knew she was crying. Angry with me. Hating me. Not when I was the cause of her tears and pain. Her anger.

"Tell me it's not true. Tell me it's all a goddamn lie." She whispered angrily.

I slowly raised my head and forced myself to meet her heated gaze. No words needed to be said. I didn't have to answer her. She already knew what I'd done.

"Bastard! How could you... do this to me?!"

I swallowed down the guilt and took a step forward. She laid her palms flat against my chest and shoved me back. Her left palm struck my cheek. The slap echoed through the room. The pain in my face compared nothing to how my heart was feeling.

"I'm sorry, baby." I murmured.

She shook her head in disbelief and scoffed. "You're sorry?!"

She tried to slap me again, but I caught her wrist, pulling her into my chest. She brought her free hand up in an attempt to get me again. I caught her other wrist and twisted her body, shoving her against the wall.

"It wasn't supposed to happen this way. I was only supposed to get close to you. I was never supposed to fall in love with you. I did. I fell so hard. I. Love. You."

Nothing but pure hatred burned in her eyes. Everything broke me on the inside. Everything shattered my heart.

"I hate you." She whispered. "I hate you for making me fall for you. You. Played. Me."

"I didn't! Dammit, everything was real. I love you."

It was true.

I fell for her the moment I got lost in her eyes.

I was in love with the enemy.

"Liar." She hissed. "My brother might be a criminal, but you're far worse. You played me like a fiddle. Fucked with my emotions. Nothing but a sorry excuse for a man. A. Goddamn. Liar! Fuck you, Knox. Just... fuck you."