Chapter 3

~September, 1993~

I can't see. Blinding reds and whites and blues, my vision blurred with fear and tears.

I had to do it.

I did the right thing.

"Carli!"

He screams from across the room. His hands are cuffed behind his back, a police officer on either side dragging him away.

I had to.

"Carli! I did it for us!"

For us. For us.

I wish he'd stop saying that.

I wish he'd forget about me.

I wish we never met if it meant I could save him.

The last thing he shouts before they take him away sends my shoulders shivering.

"I'll find you!"

It's not a threat. He would never hurt me. It's a promise. A promise that this isn't over and he's going to come back to me like he always does. He always does.

My father has his hand on my shoulder. I hardly feel it. I don't deserve his comfort. His sympathy. Not when I'm to blame.

I pull away and run down the hall. I find a side door and duck inside a storage closet. I sink to my knees, crying.

I had to turn him in. He killed someone. His father, a horrible, abusive man that I'd gladly see six feet under. But not Sam. Not like this.

Our conversation from two nights ago plays in my mind. We were at the river, taking a break from skateboarding to collapse on the grass. We laid side by side, my hand on his arm.

He told me about what his dad did the night before. I traced the bruises with my fingertips.

"I wish he would just leave you alone," I had said.

Sam rolled over to face me, leaning on his elbow. "Sometimes I wish he was dead."

"Me too."

"It wouldn't be hard I bet. Killing a drunk man in his sleep."

I gave a sideways grin and pushed against his shoulder. "You act like you're thinking about it," I joked.

He smiled. "If he was gone, I'd spend all my time with you. No worrying about him. Just us."

"That sounds amazing."

He moved his hand to the side of my face, my hair tangled in his fingers. We were close, my head against the grass, his lips hovering not far from mine.

"Can I kiss you?" he whispered.

I smiled, shaking my head. "No, Sam. You can't."

He pouted like a child. "Why?"

"Cause you're like a brother to me. It'd be weird."

"How do you know if it's never happened?" he countered.

I sighed. Taking his collar in my hand, I kissed him on the cheek. "Alright?"

I recognized the look in his eyes a moment too late. He turned my head, pressing his lips to mine.

Startled, I gave his chest a rough shove. "Sam."

He looked down at me, concerned. "I'm sorry."

I sat up, running a hand through my hair. I couldn't help but smile at the blush in his cheeks. "It's okay. But I told you how I feel. Please don't do it again."