Chapter Four: Breath of fresh air

As Wendy made her way into the crowded and bustling foyer of the large Capital estate she found her parents already groveling and greeting this evening's host, Lord and Lady Baxter stood with all the grace of beautiful and wealthy people. That did not take anything away from the kindness the couple was known for and Wendy had, had the opportunity to meet them thrice before and could confirm their gentle and friendly airs. Lady Baxter was only three years her junior and if life had been different for Wendy she was sure they would have become somewhat like friends. It was a shame that life was so cruel at times.

"Wendy!" Lady Baxter's kind and soothing voice called above many mingling voices as she greeted Wendy by grabbing her hands with a joyful swing. "It is so wonderful to see you tonight, dear Wendy. I had hoped with all my heart that I would get to see you tonight and the night is already swaying in my favor!" The taller woman stood at least six inches taller than Wendy's short frame. She was tanned in a style that many ladies would deem unfashionable to the normal pale skin seen around the Capital but Wendy was entranced by the woman with her long, straight, thick black hair that hung over one of her shoulders and the rest was pinned into a neat up-do, her grey almond eyes were framed with thick lashes.

"You are too kind, Lady Baxter." Wendy smiled at her as her anxiety spiked, her eyes slid around the room, already all of her family members were out of her sight and she was left alone to wonder where her parents could be lurking.

"Please, do call me Grace! For if we are not friends by now I have not been trying hard enough to win your affections. I was just speaking with Ian about how I longed to see you again, wasn't I dear?" Grace turned towards her husband, Lord Ian Baxter, there could have never been in doubt in anyone's minds that these two beautiful people belonged together. Lord Baxter stood much, much taller than Wendy, even making his graceful, swan-like wife appear short. His skin was creamy white with a healthy glow of color to it, he was not vastly muscular and yet he appeared confident, a bit witty, he was a quiet man who spoke rarely and doted on his loving wife and children. With hair like curly spun gold and gem blue eyes that hid every concealed emotion within, Wendy was sure she would love to hear the story of how these two found each other.

"You were, Darling." His voice was a deep brogue that seemed to fit with his shrouded aura.

Lady Baxter suddenly looped her arm with Wendy's, pulling her into step with her as Lord Baxter stayed a step behind the pair, his eyes moving around the crowded room lazily, almost coldly.
Their appearances were opposite ends of a spectrum, The brightly shining gem that was truly cold as ice and the dark, beautiful swan that was warm and welcoming.

As we stepped through the grand entryway set underneath a spiraling staircase lined with white roses and candles all glowing all along the walls, suddenly her ears were delighted by the sounds of beautiful instruments being played softly in the low light room, it was not so dark as too cast shadows but the light felt softer, the room felt warm, the smell of savory and sweet food with heavy drinks floated in the air.

It was not often in her world that she saw sights as beautiful as the one before her, "You must come and eat and drink, Wendy!" Lady Baxter pulled them away from her husband and across the ornately tiled ballroom floor. Tables of elegantly stacked trays of the heavenly food lined the walls, servants standing at the ready to serve unto the mingling nobles plates. "It took me forever to decide on the dinner choices for tonight, dear friend," the Lady leaned in and whispered in confidence "I truly thought my brother's head might explode if I asked him for his opinion on a menu change even once more." She laughed.

"I quite understand, my sisters must have changed their minds about twenty times for their choice of dress tonight. I must confess to understanding your brother's pain." Wendy found herself laughing as well.