Chapter Five: A Marital Resolve

The crowd immediately parted for Rhys as he carried the unconscious woman through the sitting room and into the stairway, avoiding the crowded areas to shield the woman from anymore unjust comments for the evening.

Grace suddenly appeared in front of him and began to lead the way to a guest room that already had servants bustling to pull the covers down and light a fire, a bowl of water set down at the head of the bed and cloths to wipe the sweat from the woman's face. "Lay her gently on the bed, brother" Grace instructed him and he laid her against the soft bed, his arms brushing against her overly warm body as he pulled away. 

He finally had the chance to look at her properly, she was asleep and her face was very pale, her features even looking slightly drawn were totally at rest. She was beautiful, he realized with surprise how drawn he felt to her. With a crown of brown curls styled around her head, her cheeks held charming freckles and her full lips were tempting, he couldn't see what color her eyes were but thick, long lashes fanned across her cheeks. As he took her in it was apparent that she was too thin, her collarbone stuck out in great contrast and her cheeks sunk into her face, yet still he had to admit she seemed to have a full and tempting figure, the kind that would bring any man to his knees.

He was pushed to the side as Grace moved to the bed, dipping a strip of cloth into the water and gently stroking the woman's lovely and yet worn face. "Oh, Wendy darling" his sister whispered down to the woman, to Wendy, knowing her name as he stared down at her, he suddenly realized he wanted to know everything there was to know about her, her favorite things, the things she hated, her opinion on all matters and sense of things, his heart was racing and he felt confused. He wasn't known for falling head first into anything and yet he was sure he'd give this woman whatever she asked of him.

"Rhys" Ian called to him as he stepped into the room, a physician hot on his heels as he immediately got to work on checking Wendy's pulse. Rhys nodded and stepped out of the room with his brother in law as the two young, blonde girls that he had seen in the garden rushed past him then door was shut "Her sisters" Ian said in little way of explanation to the confused look on Rhys' face.

He followed Ian down the winding stairs and off to the side of the party where they entered his study, the man who was previously with the sobbing woman who claimed Wendy as her daughter was seated a bit too comfortably at Ian's desk and failed to stand as they came into the room. His already rounding chest puffed out and his face turned red "That man has dishonored my daughter!" Rhys could barely hold back the sneer he wanted to aim at the man, his daughter laid unwell in the home of a random noble and yet her father seemed to have never been more relaxed than he currently was. 

"I did nothing but save her life, she was gasping for air and she could not breathe!" He felt his own rarely provoked temper rising at the accusation he knew this man was laying at his feet, he would never disgrace a lady in such a way. Not this lady certainly, in just one fleeting moment, in one desperate hour of need and fear she had grabbed ahold of his attention firmly.

"So you had to rip her clothes from her body?!" The man exclaimed again "She is surely ruined for all of society now! No one will marry a woman who has been used so disgustingly by another man!" Rhys felt his head throb with pain, clenching his jaw tightly at the man's shrill voice that carried on.

"Truly, Sir, you do not suggest that this man has taken advantage of your daughter." Rhys could see the man gulp slightly at the cold tone Ian addressed him in, the bright looking man often brought an aura of seriousness with him that intimidated others. "I am sure many of us saw that your daughter seemed quite unwell and I am also sure this man acted only to save your daughter and with no other motive in mind."

"And what am I to say to my daughter once she learns of what has taken place?" He seemed to regain his indignation and yelled some more "How am I to explain to her that her flesh was so carelessly exposed by some fool of a man thinking himself a hero? How am I to explain she may not only never marry now but her reputation will be ruined beyond any hope of recovery?!" He shook his head as he suddenly stood and paced back and forth "No! I shall not have this! For you shall marry her! You will right this wrong you have committed against my daughter or I shall sue you in court!" He slammed his fist against the desk and spittle flew from his lips.

"Surely you jest, sir" Ian laughed at the absurdity of the demand  "He has only just saved the life of you daughter and yet you threaten to drag not only him but your own daughter through a public court hearing, it is laughable to think you would win such a matter."

"I am only asking for him to right what he has done!" The man looked mad in Rhys' eyes but he could admit that he only thought of the beautiful girl that lay ill in his sister's guest room, her father had shown an enormous lack of thought for what she would have to go through in a court hearing even though Rhys knew the man would not win.

"Let it be so then, I will marry her." Rhys spoke in a low but firm tone and as soon as the words left his lips he questioned his own sanity, what was he doing? He knew nothing of this girl really, had exchanged no words with her before she fainted away in his arms, yet something inside of him was screaming at him not to return her to this man.

"You'll marry her without a dowry" the man leaned forward over the desk and Rhys could see the greed shining in his eyes, disgust filled him at the thought of a father who would only pretend to worry about his daughter in an attempt to be rid of her for free.

It was then Rhys realized who he was now, the Earl of Follies, a drunk coming from old and quickly dwindling money, the Earl before him had been one of extreme economy, his son being everything his father was not. He had seen him being thrown out of the clubs more than once, and the scandals of many mistresses and gambling matches set the tongues of gossips alight, they were all waiting for the day he would dig the hole too deep and be thrown into the debtors prison.  He wasn't even aware that the man had a daughter, let alone three. It made sense that Wendy was unmarried, despite her beauty any man with a thought to his own reputation would not link himself to such a man, and any fortune hunter worth their salt would know that the Earl was close to ruin.

"I do not require a dowry." Rhys felt angrier at the second, he wanted to take the beautiful girl, Wendy, away from this father who obviously cared not at all for her.

The Earl grinned a slimy grin and stuck his hand out for the Duke to shake, Rhys sneered at the Earl,  dismissing his hand as he turned to leave the study "Have your people prepare the papers you need to release yourself from payment of her dowry, I will call on  you tomorrow to sign and we will be married." as soon as Rhys finished speaking  he strode from the room, his anger rolling off of him in waves, he would do whatever he had to do to save Wendy.

" as soon as Rhys finished speaking  he strode from the room, his anger rolling off of him in waves, he would do whatever he had to do to save Wendy