Chapter Twelve: The Arrival

Rhys felt the tension and strain from his travels leaving his muscles as the familiar feeling of the road pacing the way to his estate bounced under the wheels of their carriage. Finally he was home, away from the prying eyes of the Capital, away from the gossip and scandals that seemed to plague the people who resided there. He glanced over at Wendy, she had been silent ever since she had braved to tell him of her father's debts, he still wasn't sure how the conversation had turned so sideways. He realized that in his bid to assure her that her situation would be different now, he had somehow offended her, he was not even sure of how to clear the misunderstanding and thought it best to leave it be. 

He wondered whether she would enjoy life at Thornberg, he had grown up there, and grew it into the vast and thriving estate that it was today, doubling the profit it had made when his late father had been Duke. He had slaved away at shipping businesses, trades, tenants, and farming. As well as making quite the fortune in his military days. Even at his own personal estate he had a garden that grew many fruits and vegetables that the kitchen prepared daily. Would she like his simple way of living? Surely, she thought that since he was a Duke he would be all pomp and show. She looked every bit a Duchess, she sat with her back straight, her elegant neck craned slightly as she stared, lost in the scenery passing by her, her hair laid in curls around her shoulders and back, the light shining through the window cast a glow against her pale skin and lit her blue eyes with the warmth of the setting sun. She had the grace, the wisdom, and from what he had witnessed the thoughtfulness to make a great Duchess. He marveled that by some stroke of absurd luck on his part, she was his Duchess.

Wendy felt waves as though peacefulness was rolling through her at the lush green and almost wild estate that was Thornberg set against the orange, country skyline. It was kept well but not maintained to the point of forced nature that decorated the gardens and lawns of the estates in the Capital. She had only been to the countryside once before as a young girl to visit Bianca's dying father, though the visit had been short and laced with a heavy sadness, Wendy had loved the countryside, loved the calmness of it. She suddenly had the feeling of coming home, as if her soul had been waiting for the moment it might be in this place. She didn't know how her marriage would go, whether she would find love or if she would be forced to play the role of a happy wife while drowning in strife behind closed doors. But she already knew, just from the little she had seen of Thornberg, that she would quickly come to think of it as her home and may always feel that way, the thought brought a smile to her lips.

"We will be at the main house very shortly." Rhys explained as he watched her smile at the greenery passing by her, his heart twisting with longing that she might smile at him with such love and peace one day "The servants I'm sure, will be waiting to meet the new Duchess of Thornberg, though if you find yourself too weary from the journey I can put it off for you. Mr. Faron is the head butler of the house and should you find yourself in want of anything or to know what is what at the estate, he will be able to provide you with all the information you might need." The words he wanted to say he kept back, he wanted to be the one to show her his home, like some kind of proud peacock ruffling his feathers, he wanted to explain to her the work that he had put into Thornberg to make it what it was, to teach her the history of his family. Yet he also did not wish to crowd her with his presence after having to stay confined in the carriage cab with him for so many hours.

Wendy could not deny the disappointment that grabbed a hold of her as she realized he was telling her who would show her, her new home, and it was not him. A foolish part of her, a part of her that she tried to tap down, had thought he might be the one to show her the estate, to answer all her questions and teach her all the ways. Foolish again, she scolded herself, a Duke doesn't have the time to play a servant for her whims, he wouldn't have the time to guide her through this and she needed to accept that. The sooner she did, the less disappointment she might have to subject herself to.

"If it isn't too much trouble, I would find it very enjoyable to meet the servants. If they are ready to meet me I am looking forward to getting to know them." Wendy smiled softly as she spoke, her eyes staying glued to her hands that were folded in her lap "Mr. Faron sounds like a most useful fellow, I will have to beg him his time to show me this beautiful estate."

"Then you approve of it?" His question forced her eyes up to his and she saw the genuine question in them, for a reason unknown to Wendy, he truly wanted to know her opinion of his home.

"I have never seen a place that could so easily be called home, Your Grace." Her guard left completely down as well as his. Her answer set a smile on his lips as he found himself unconsciously leaning towards her and her in turn leaning forward as well.

Before either of them could say another word the carriage pulled to a stop and they both looked towards the door as the coachman hurried forward to open it for them to step. The Duke cleared his throat and stepped down from the carriage, turning back he held out his hand to help her down. She placed her hand in his and having removed her gloves earlier due to the heat of the day, their skin touched and she felt a searing heat and shiver move through her body.

As soon as her feet were planted solidly on the ground she looked up at the steps of the beautiful home in front of her, maids, cooks, stable boys, and all other kinds of servants lined the steps, clothes clean and their hands grasped in front of them as though she was going to begin strictly inspecting them. She had always hoped that if she ever had the chance to run a household, she would be a kinder and far more reasonable mistress than she had seen Bianca be. Too often she had seen servants at her father's home verbally and physically abused for things she knew were out of their control or for simple mistakes that were common to happen. They were as human as she was, and only the circumstance of birth separated their situations. In many ways she had formed more of a bond with them than she had her own family, it was Sarah who had tended to her wounds whenever her father or Bianca reacted in anger towards her, it was the old cook in the kitchen who had spread salve against the lashes whipped into her skin by her father.

She smiled at them all, making sure to offer warm eye contact with anyone who would meet her eyes. She wanted to put her best foot forward, it was her who was coming into their home, she did not want them to feel put out.

"Duchess, might I introduce Mr. Faron to you." A tall, older man with thick, white hair stepped forward from the line of servants, she could tell from the smile lines around his eyes that he was a generally happy man and she felt a sort of trust and comfort with him instantly. His lips were thin with wrinkles all around them and his face was more nose than anything else. "Mr. Faron, this is my wife, Lady Wendy Granger, the new Duchess of Thornberg." It took Wendy all of her self control to not react with shock upon hearing his last name attached to her own name.

She smiled at him as he bent at the waist to her, a smile lifting his wrinkled cheeks. "Welcome to Thornberg estate, Your Grace. Welcome home." Her heart soared at the thought, could she truly be home?