Chapter Eighteen: Unexpected visitors

Wendy slowly awoke the next morning, her mind taking more than a moment to process where she was. She felt as though all too often in her life lately she was waking up in rooms she was not used to. Her eyes brushed over the masculine room, a fire with burning embers at the hearth, the first beams of sunlight was just barely coming through the heavily draped windows, but it was the arm around her waist that had all of the events from the night before barreling into her brain.

She looked over at the Duke, his naked, muscled torso on display as her eyes greedily feasted on him, the thick blankets of his bed laying haphazardly around his waist, his black hair was mussed and her checks flamed at the memory of her fingers working through his locks and tugging at the ends as he kissed at her neck while goosebumps of pleasure trickled across her skin.

She moved slowly and lifted his arm, it could only be a few hours that had passed since she had fallen asleep. A low hiss escaped her mouth as soreness settled into her muscles, she longed to ring for a maid and to soak in the large tub that sat in the room, beckoning her to sink into the warm water and relax, but instead she tiptoed over to her clothes, hastily throwing them back on and making her way from what she was sure were the Duke's rooms and into her own.

Wendy wanted to just slap herself, did she truly have no pride?! He might be her husband and as such she did not sin in sharing his bed, but as her mind replayed the heated words they had exchanged last night she found nowhere in them where she remembered his denying Lady Fairly as his mistress, he had simply kissed her as if that would make it all disappear and the fool that she was, it practically had.

She sat on the edge of the bed in her own quarters, biting her fist as she tried to silence the sobs that were blocking her throat, a hollowing pain settled in her chest. She had always imagined that if she were to give herself to a man, it would be for love, and she knew last night was nothing more than lust on his part. Truly she could not lay all the blame on him, lust had held her in its iron fist and had not released her until they had already done what could never be undone. She hugged herself as she let herself freely cry now, this would be the last time that she let herself give into the feelings of pity, she stood and wiped all the tears from her cheeks, taking a deep breath she tugged on the rope for Mary to come, she would request a bath. She began ripping the clothes from her body, she never wanted to wear them again.

Rhys woke later in the day than he had in years, the sun was already high in the sky and beaming brightly through his windows, the drapes pulled back and the fire stoked back to life, no doubt by one of his faithful servants. A smile broke out on his face as he stretched out his limbs and then turned with the thought of ways to wake his wife that would please them both, only to find the other side of his bed empty and cold. He sat up quickly and looked around the large master's quarters, the room was empty and quiet and there was no sign of Wendy, even her clothes that had been thrown around the room last night were gone and only his own clothes lay neatly folded against the arm of one of his sitting chairs.

Rhys bathed and dressed quickly, not even waiting for warm water as the freezing water shot adrenaline through his veins and he descended the stairs two at a time, still buttoning the sleeves at his wrist. The household was completely awake, he heard the sounds of servants bustling about completing chores as he set out to find his missing wife, he would convince her with kisses to stay in his bed tonight as well, a grin set on his features as he made his way to the sitting room that most Duchesses of Thornberg took up to handle their tasks.

As he entered the room without knocking he was surprised to find his sister, her husband, and all three of their children seated talking with Wendy.

"Brother!" Grace beamed as she stood to embrace him, she placed a chaste kiss on his cheek and her smile was contagious as he grinned back at her "I feel I have given the two of you more than enough time alone and Ian and I couldn't wait any longer to see how you and dear Wendy were settling in together!" Rhys caught Ian rolling his eyes and he instantly knew that it was more that Grace had pestered her husband into visiting them. Though Rhys was also certain it had taken little pestering as Lord Baxter always gave into the whims of his wife.

"You are always welcome here, Sister." He smiled and moved to shake Ian's hand, he turned to Wendy then, finally taking in his breathtaking wife. She was sitting primly wearing a pretty light blue day gown, the color matched her eyes and he had a mind to request that she wear it more often as it looked so well on her, her hair was done up in a bun with her usual curls framing her face. He could not tear his eyes from her though she would not look at him, would not meet his eye and he couldn't help the frown that settled on him. Did she have regrets about their night together? Did she wish it had not happened? He could not claim anything other than complete bliss at the memories.

He moved across the room and sat next to her on the long chaise as his older niece and nephew flew at him with shouts of joy "Uncle!" Arabella cried out "Aunt Wendy said I could pick pretty flowers from her garden today!" he lifted her up onto his lap as she talked excitedly at him, the six year old looking more and more like her father with his blonde hair and gem blue eyes. "Did she now?" He asked her with a smile "What a benevolent Aunt you have, my dear, surely you shall try and find some pretty flowers to give to her then." Arabella grinned up at her Uncle before climbing none too gracefully over to Wendy's lap and began playing with the curls that hung around her face.

"Pray tell, My lady" Wendy began speaking and warmth washed over him at the sound of her voice, he wondered at how she could look just as alluring now with a child on her lap, as she did laying bare in his bed last night "How did the rest of the season fare for you? Did you attend any balls with my sisters? I have had the pleasure of receiving several letters from them and they boast of nothing but pleasurable times had by all."

Grace laughed, her swan-like neck thrown back in a dainty sound escaping as she answered "Indeed! I got to see your sisters quite a few times before we retired from London" baby Amelia gurgled in her mother's arms as if joining the conversation "They are such pleasant girls, kind and quite the beauties' to be sure" Wendy smiled and Rhys saw the homesickness in her eyes, she might not miss her parents but he could sense how she longed to see her sisters again, he made a mental note to write to their father that the twins might stay with them now that the season had all but ended.

"I admit, I was disappointed I did not get to see them through the season but also admit that I am relieved I did not have to go through the rest of it myself. The Capital has never been a favorite of mine and while the theater and bookshops are always a welcome distraction I have been enjoying the quiet here." Rhys felt his heart swell at her words, she liked it here, she was perfect for him and last night had solidified it all the more.

As he opened his mouth to join in on the conversation Mr. Faron knocked briskly once and entered the room with a tray, a calling card placed in the middle. "If you please, Your Grace" Mr. Faron addressed Rhys and he noticed how his servant's eyes shifted uneasily to Wendy. "Lady Fairly has requested an audience with you in your study." He heard the pained gasp that left Wendy's throat and felt the accusing stare of his sister.

With a deep sigh he turned to Wendy "I will be only a moment, Wendy" He murmured and she did not turn to look at him as her gaze was pinned to the calling card in the middle of the shiny silver tray. "Faron" He nodded to his butler as they left the room and as the door clicked shut Wendy felt as if her heart was lodged in the latch, breaking with its closure.