Chapter 25

“Woah! Kalthoum are you going to a wedding or something?” Hana asked as her friend stepped into the house behind her brother and his fiancée.

Kalthoum gave her a sheepish grin, and tugged self-consciously at her Hijab.

“I was just trying to look nice! It’s not too much is it?” she asked worriedly. Hana glanced over Kalthoum’s outfit which was covered in sparkles and beads and sequins and stifled a grimace. It was a gaudy and loud outfit, and unfortunately it looked like her friend was trying too hard. Plus, it made Hana, who was wearing a plain black Abaya and a green scarf, feel underdressed.

“Um, you look great Kalthoum.” She said, trying to sound sincere, and her friend beamed.

“You think Houssam will like it?”

Hana’s fists clenched.

“I don’t know Kalthoum. Plus aren’t your intentions in the wrong place?”

At least her friend had the decency to blush.

“Well I didn’t dress up for him! I just wanted to feel good about myself!

Yeah. Sure.

“Whatever you say.” Hana said, following Kalthoum as she walked towards the living room.

“So I’ve never been to Yusra and Amir’s! It’s a nice house MashaAllah! Really big!” Kalthoum said looking around in admiration.

“Well it’s actually Houssam’s house, they just rent it from him.”

Ugh why did she say that?!

Kalthoum’s eyes sparkled with interest.

“Really? Wow that’s,” she paused to run a hand over one of the walls, “impressive.”

Just as Hana was seriously contemplating pushing her friend over, Yusra appeared from the kitchen.

“Oh salaam girls! Habibti Kalthoum, why don’t you go on ahead to the living room, and Hana can you help me in the kitchen?” Yusra asked, inclining her head in the direction of the room, and as Kalthoum headed towards wshere the other ladies were sitting, Yusra took Hana’s hand.

“How are you holding up?”

Hana gave a shrug.

“I’m fine. Why do you ask?”

“You looked like you were going to punch Kalthoum.” She said with a smile, and Hana laughed.

“Didn’t know I was that obvious. Sorry.”

“Don’t apologize! I want you to have a good time, so from this moment on, all thoughts of my brother must be removed from your mind!”

“Yusra! Shh!” Hana exclaimed looking anxiously around the room, and Yusra laughed.

“Don’t worry, he is upstairs with the kids.”

“There are other people in the house.” Hana grumbled, and Yusra smiled.

“Okay I won’t say anything else. But seriously please try to have a good time tonight?” she pleaded, and Hana nodded.

“I’ll try.”

“Good, Do you want to go in the living room and entertain the other ladies or do you want to come help Ilham and I prepare the table?”

“I’ll come with you.” She hurried to answer, and Yusra laughed, taking Hana’s hand and pulling her behind her.

Once they had entered the kitchen, Hana greeted Ilham, and the three of them worked quietly preparing the food and taking it to the dining room table. Ten minutes later as Ilham, being the perfectionist that she is, was putting the finishing touches on the table, Yusra wiped her hands on her towel before looking at Hana.