Chapter 49

“Oh Hana. Why?” Ilham asked as she sat down next to her sister on her bed, and Hana sighed.

“I’ve been having these doubts for a while now, and the closer we get the more it freaks me out.”

“What does?”

“Well you already know about my fear of the paparazzi.”

“Of course. And I already said that you have a good reason to be scared, but you can’t let it rule your life.”

“That’s not the only thing. He will be giving up on his dreams. I can’t let him do that.”

Ilham frowned.

“What do you mean?”

“He was offered a job with the New York Knicks.’’

“So?”

“He isn’t going to accept the offer because he doesn’t want to leave me.”

“Why is that a problem?”

“I don’t want him to give it up!”

“It sounds like you don’t want to be with him.”

Hana looked at her in astonishment.

“What? That’s not true!”

Ilham shrugged.

“It seems to me that you are fishing for excuses not to be with him.”

“Ilham! Of course I want to be with him! I just don’t want him to give up his dream!”

“But he said he doesn’t mind it!”

“But I know Houssam. I know him, and I know he will regret this. No matter his feelings for me, no matter how devoted he feels towards me, he is going to feel remorse giving this up. I can’t let him do this.”

“It think you need to have a talk with him.” Ilham said quietly, and Hana sighed, fiddling with the pearl bracelet Houssam had given her. It had been two days since her not a birthday celebration, and Houssam had been texting and calling her nonstop pleading with her. His last text had broken her heart.

I need you. Don’t leave me.

“He’s been trying, I just don’t have everything straight in my head. It’s all scrambled up.”

“Honestly habibti, the way I see it, is that you are just scared. I am beginning to think this whole you don’t want him to give up the Knicks is a cover.”

“What are you implying Ilham?”

“I’m not implying anything. I’m straight up saying that if he is okay with staying, and you really want to be with him, you shouldn’t question it. I fear you are just frightened of the paparazzi.”

***

“What do you mean you think you broke up!?” Amir demanded, and Houssam shrugged.

“She told me that she wasn’t going to let me give up on my dream, and that we needed to take some time to think this over. Sounds like a break up to me!”

“Okay first of all, you didn’t even officially propose so you can’t call it a break up.”

“Oh yeah? What about when you broke up with Yusra? You weren’t officially engaged!”

Amir’s eyes darkened.

“Look I know you’re upset, and I’m trying to be understanding, but no need to bring up the past!”

“Sorry. I just don’t know what to do. I’m so conflicted.”

“Why are you conflicted?”