Chapter 34

Hana shot out of bed as the sound of her phone ringing interrupted her sleep. She stared around in confusion for a second, her eyes widening as she realized it was three in the morning. As she picked up her phone from where it sat on her bedside table, her mouth fell open as she saw Houssam was calling her. Why was he calling her!? At three in the morning?!

Normally she wouldn’t have even considered answering, yet it was three in the morning. What if it was an emergency?

“Hello?”

“Hana? Oh Thank God. Oh my God I’m so glad you answered.” He said the second she answered, and she was startled to hear that he was panicking.

“Is everything okay?” she asked turning on her lamp, and momentarily closing her eyes against the blinding light.

“Um no. Amir took Yusra to the hospital a few hours ago, and they left me with Kareem and he is screaming his head off and won’t even let me near him, and my parents are out of town and I don’t know what to do!” he exclaimed, and Hana realized that Kareem was indeed screaming in the background.

“Okay calm down. First of all is Yusra okay?”

“Well she said that something felt weird, and then she proceeded to throw up uncontrollably. So he took her in right away. Lucky for them I was sleeping over so they could leave me with the baby. But I guess seeing me during the day, and waking up in the middle of the night and seeing me are totally different things because he won’t stop crying. Please help me.” He pleaded, and she sighed.

“Okay, I’ll be right there.”

“Are you sure?” he asked, relief in his tone.

“Yeah of course.”

“I don’t want you to drive this late though.” He said worriedly, and she felt her heart constrict.

Why did he have to act so caring?

She was supposed to be mad at him.

“It’s okay you guys are just down the street from me, I’ll be fine.”

“Okay I’ll be waiting. Please hurry.” He begged.

“I’ll be there as soon as I can Houssam. Try to calm down otherwise you will make him freak out worse.”

“Okay. Salaam.”

“Wasalaam.” She said, wondering how she was going to convince her dad to let her leave the house at three in the morning. Lucky for her, her dad was praying Tahajud prayer, and agreed to drop her off, so after gathering up her things, including a few lollipops from the cupboard, she got in the car, and five minutes later she was standing outside of Yusra and Amir’s house. She hurried up the front steps, and she didn’t even ring the bell before Houssam swung it open, his face marked with anxiety.

“Oh my god I have never been happier to see a person more than I am right at this moment!” he exclaimed, and she stepped inside, taking off her shoes.

“No problem.” She was going to ask where Kareem was, but she could hear him screaming from his room, and as she climbed the stairs and went inside, her heart went out to see the poor baby curled up on his side in his crib, and bawling for his mother.

“I don’t know what to do.” Houssam whispered, and Hana handed him her bag before reaching over for Kareem.

“Hey Kareem. Hey habibi, what’s wrong?” she asked softly as she began to bounce the baby in her arms. At first he continued his cries, but soon he began to calm down, and he put his head on her shoulder.

“Mama?” he asked between hiccupped sobs, and Hana pushed his hair back from his face.

“Mama is coming. Don’t cry. You’re going to be with me and Amu Houssam!” she said, and Kareem raised his head to look at Houssam.