ᴇɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ; ʜɪᴛᴏʀɪᴛᴀʙɪ

hitoritabi 

( noun

a solitary journey 

WHEN SOFIA Robbin Sloan Torres is one week old, she weighs only one pound, one ounce, stuck in an incubator in the NICU and barely able to be seen over all of the tubes she is attached to that keep her fighting each and every day.

Everett checks in on the baby at least once every day, whispering sweet words to her that she knows she is unable to understand. It helps, just a little, with her hand pressed to the top of the incubator, urging this baby to just keep going. And every day, after she's greeted the barely surviving baby, she crosses the hospital to the ICU to visit her mentor, who is stuck in a hospital bed while she trains her brain to perform all the tasks that used to come so easily to her.

Even Gods can fall.

"How're you today, Callie?" Everett had waited until Bailey and Yang had left Callie's room before she had slipped in, under strict instructions from Dr Sheridan, the Head of Orthopedic surgery, not to visit her Attending until her lunch break.

"You're not allowed to be here," Callie warns, hardly able to move but still able to smile at the curly-haired woman who makes sure nobody she knows is watching before she enters the room.

Everett rolls her eyes. "So what? I'm gonna come visit you if I wanna." Callie laughs. It sounds sore in her lungs and doesn't last very long, but the gentle smile on her lips remains. "Now, c'mon, any progress?"

"I almost got my hand straight." She does not sound as proud as she should feel. Actually, the smile falls from her lips and her eyes quickly dart to the other side of the room, maybe just a little bit afraid of the reaction she will get from her protégé.

"No way, that's so awesome!" Everett stops at Callie's side, quickly reading the machines hanging above her bed. When she looks back down at her friend, she can see the growing anger in her facial expression, unable to hide how pissed off she is at having to spend every minute of every hour of every day stuck in this hospital bed. 

"Still can't see Sofia?" Callie shakes her head. Everett lets out a quiet hum as she starts to rake through the bag Arizona brings with her every morning that is usually filled with the sort of snacks she'd steal from the Attending's locker room when she was allowed inside. There's a chocolate muffin in here that she knows Karev would love.

Her heart drops and she forces herself to turn back to her friend.

"What's up with that?" She drops into the seat closest to Callie's head, pulling the clear wrapping off of the blueberry muffin that had been calling to her inside of Arizona's snack bag. Callie watches her for a few seconds, frown tugging her lips downwards like she wanted to say something about her protégé's eating habits.