ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ; ɴᴇᴍᴇsɪsᴍ

nemesism 

( noun

a frustration, anger or aggression directed against oneself 

WATCHING THE rain trickle down the glass in front of her, Everett is reminded suddenly of an opera she had gone with Alina to see back during their med school days. She hadn't understood a word of what was going on, but she had been blown away by the crashing crescendos of the music, heart beating wildly in her throat, hairs rising on the back of her neck as the soprano reached their climax. Her hands had tightened around the arms of her uncomfortable seat and she had been unable to look away as the music rained down around her, so loud she could feel the beat vibrating through the curve of her feet.

The storm outside whistles in her ears as she makes her way through the hospital, trying her hardest to ignore the tension building between her and Callie. It's been like this ever since she got the call from John Hopkins that morning, offering her an interview for their Fellowship position.

"You're okay with me going all the way to Bentley with Mer and Karev?"

"You're fifth years now, Ever, I can trust you to look after a baby in an ambulance." There's a bitterness in the back of her tone that cuts at Everett's spine. They need to have a proper talk about where she's going to go for her Fellowship now that the offers for interviews have started to get sent out. Callie doesn't sound like she ever wants to talk about it.

She tightens her hold on her bulky blue jacket.

"Callie, do you think–"

"Get a move on, Ramos," interrupts Karev, pushing her towards the ambulance waiting for them in the ambulance bay. She can just about hear Meredith in the distance, talking to her husband about the unfortunate news that they most likely will never be Zola's parents after everything that they've been through.

Everett turns her head back to meet Callie's gaze.

Her mentor's eyes are filled with regret. She doesn't get a chance to say anything as she is pushed into the ambulance, swinging herself up to sit across from the incubator recently installed to hold the baby with the tracheoesophageal fistula.

The doors swing shut behind Meredith and the three of them are doused in an uncomfortable silence that seems to snake over their shoulders and hold them hostage.

Karev is the first to break it.

"It's probably a mistake." He's obviously talking about the phone call Meredith received from her social worker. Apparently, it seems as if the court has deemed her and Derek unworthy of the baby they so badly wanted. "You know, courts screw up all the time. You call 'em in the morning–"