ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴛᴡᴏ; ᴠɪʀᴀɢᴏ

virago 

( noun )

a strong, brave, or warlike woman 

LEGACY. IT'S a word that holds the most power in the world, causing a ripple of karma in the oceans of the Earth. When you have a legacy weighing on your shoulders, it becomes a drag, everyone's eyes turning to look at you, whispering about you behind your back, acting like they know the real you when the only you they've ever seen is the one in the tabloids. 

Legacy. A garden of overgrown weeds. A tree of gnarled roots. A sea of oil spillages.

Everett listens as everyone complains around her, taking their seats in the auditorium, going on and on about postponing their surgeries for a mandatory lecture from some bigshot doctor they don't care about. She, like April on her right, is too excited to care about the tired grumbles of her peers, almost bouncing in her seat at the prospect of what is to come.

"One more hour of sleep, that's what it is," Karev says from in front of her, starting to bundle up his white doctor's coat in order to use it as a pillow. Everett rolls her eyes as she leans forward to pop her head in the space between Karev and Cristina, making them both jump in surprise.

"It won't be boring. Trust me."

"Yeah," backs up April, grinning from ear-to-ear, "this is Jackson's mother. Catherine Avery!"

"She's a urologist, right?" The trio sitting in front spin around to look at Jackson, who starts to lower himself in his uncomfortable seat, downing as much coffee as his throat will allow. Everett smiles behind her own coffee at the sight of his flushed cheeks.

He hates talking about his mother. No wonder he sent Lexie away for the weekend.

"Yeah, we met her when we were interns at Mercy West. She's amazing."

"She's so powerful," Everett coos to herself, remembering the way she had held herself as she walked through the halls of the hospital, creating her own legacy for the future of the female surgeons following her.

"She's a lunatic." Jackson rolls his eyes to himself, taking another long sip of coffee and trying not to let his friends' obsession with his mother get the better of him. It's annoyed him for way too long now.

"No, she's not." April leans over Everett to get a better look at her fellow resident. Jackson refuses to meet her eye. "She's brilliant. She says these things that shock you, but then when you think about them later, they change your whole life."