ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ ғᴏᴜʀ; ᴍɪᴅᴅɪɴɢ

midding 

(verb

feeling the tranquil pleasure of being near a gathering but not quite in it 

INTERNS LOVE the hospital. Through the strong stench of disinfectant and iron, through the hordes of blood and disease, through the sickness, and the tears, and the distraught families grieving over loved ones. The interns still manage to find hope, to find promise, to find a dream. To them, the hospital is a home, a warm heart pumping their blood around their body, giving them something to look forward to and to fight for. They'll learn, soon enough, that some dreams aren't meant to come true.

"Just look at them," Meredith sighs out. She's standing between Everett and Cristina, the three of them watching the interns getting ready, throwing trash from their lockers and joking about whatever it is interns find funny these days. It's been six years since Everett was an intern. Six years since she had the sort of naive aspirations only a fresh-out-of-med-school kid could.

"They're so fresh and shiny." Everett gulps down the coffee in her hand. She's only been here for an hour. This is her second coffee. Sometimes, she can't help but remember what Perkins told her about cutting down on caffeine, if only he could see her now, spending all her money on the coffee cart that has started to give her discount cards just so she can save something. One day, these interns are going to have the exact same caffeine dependency and all their hopes will be flushed away with the coffee beans.

Hopefully, they don't have to deal with mass shootings and plane crashes.

"Laughing, talking. It's pathetic." Cristina scoffs, arms crossed over her chest. "They're pathetic." 

"I can't believe we used to be them."

It's weird to think what six years will do to a person. All the people they've lost in that time, all the dreams they used to have. Everett was twenty-eight when she first stepped foot in the intern's locker room at Mercy West, changing into ugly orange scrubs, a little baby-faced and new to the whole feeling of running around a hospital after the resident in charge of her. Now, she's thirty-four and riddled with panic attacks that trigger severe asthma attacks and dating a pediatrics surgeon who thinks they can have sex whenever they have time between surgeries.

She lets out a long sigh.

Cristina nods her head and the two other surgeons are quick to follow her, crossing around the other side of the lockers so they're interns can't see them. They can hear them, though, talking about breast awareness when it comes to breast cancer. Mousy Heather is in the middle of telling a story about her cousin with the large zit on her chest when Cristina pokes her head through their circle.